Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Configuration, Suggestions

Assets with Optional 'Sharing' for Multiple Users

Hello,

I've used Perch on about 5+ websites so far and I keep running into the scenario where I have multiple users assigned to different pages of a site, but who all need to use the assets app.

Three of these websites are for small schools, with each teacher having access to manage their own classroom page on the website. While the assets app works great for everyone, there are some images or files they upload that they prefer not be visible/accessible to all users. For example, if a teacher uploads a profile picture for their classroom page, a file or homework assignment, they should have an option to share it, or not, with all other teachers. Currently what they're experiencing is a lot of unnecessary files/images from all users that they have to sort through or see, before getting to their own.

What would be a great upgrade is if, when a non-admin user logs in to the CMS, they only view/access their own uploaded assets. I'm thinking this could be done with some filtering and a "share" option added to each file/image upload. The "share" option could be very similar to the "add to library" checkbox, ...if unchecked the item is only visible and accessible to the original uploader. If checked, then the item would be visible/accessible to all users...which is the case now.

An additional config option for the site developer could be to choose whether assets are set to "share" or not by default.I don't think this is possible now, but could this possibly be added to Perch anytime soon?

I know you both have a lot going on, but I'm hoping this could be a small or simple enough addition that wouldn't take a long time to implement? I've asked about different feature updates before and haven't seen any of them yet, but it's understandable. I'm just wondering if this is somthing simple enough to actually be added soon?

Perch is really awesome and the Blocks feature is just unbelievably simple yet powerful.

Thank you, Joshua

Joshua Rodriguez

Joshua Rodriguez 2 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

How about if resources buckets could be restricted per user role?

Yeah, I think that would work perfectly!

They would still need a way to optionally share files too. For example, a teacher uploads a class syllabus file, but wants to make it available for use by all teachers...this way they won't each have to upload the same file again.

Easiest way I'm thinking would be if all files outside (above) of resource buckets remain accessible to everyone as is the case now. Users would then only need to have an option to move/access files ONLY between their own resource bucket and the "shared" level above their resource bucket.

What do you think? Possible any time soon?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Files can't be outside a resource bucket, but there's no reason why 'shared' items couldn't be uploaded to a shared bucket.

Yeah, that works out even better. Now, an admin would still have access to all assets right?

Is this something I can do with the current version of Perch?

Also, would using a Master Page have any impact on this solution? Currently, I have a master page setup called Classroom and when I created each teacher's page, I referenced that master page. In the template of that master page, there are multiple regions from where they can upload assets. If each teacher's page references the same master page, how would I assign a different bucket to each teacher's page? ...or could I be over thinking this?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

It's not something Perch can do currently, but it's a possibility for something we could add in a future release.