Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Links to documents and images hard / impossible to edit

I have a client who uses Perch as a document repository for her parish council documents (as well as news via blog and updates into pages). It has worked well for the last few years, but since the last release it is very hard for her to use. I have 2 questions.

1. Linking to documents The feature of putting assets into a content editing region using the Markitup editor Link functionality now puts the name of the asset into the editing area so it is very hard to see what is going on : eg the Minutes page now shows the linked documents as :

[cms:asset 689] [cms:asset 692] etc etc

rather than the original way : Minutes 6th July 2017 (Part 1)

Is there any way of showing more information about the asset in the editing window again?

2) Linking to Documents which are actually images (not Linking to Images) Another problem is that she sometimes takes scans of manually written documents so these are jpgs rather than pdfs. These used to be uploaded as document links but now they are uploaded as[cms:asset 683] links like documents - but unlike documents these show up as photos in the text. Is there any way to create a link to the images?

How it looks now : [cms:asset 693] How it looks for images uploaded a few months ago and linked in via the images link (<Perch3?): Page 1

Is there a way to link to the jpgs or do we have to convert the jpgs to pdfs outside perch now and then link them?

Overall : This used to work really well but now it isnt - perhaps this isnt the way to store documents on Perch any more? Any help gratefully received as we are under pressure to move to wordpress...

Site is on 3.014 and template is standard textarea - ie

<perch:content id="text" type="textarea" label="Text" markdown="true" editor="markitup" imagewidth="640" imageheight="480" /> 
cow shed

cow shed 0 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Is this the only way these documents are added to the site? Just jammed into a textarea? Or are you adding them as structured content too?

Yes they are just rammed into a textarea. It has worked really well until now.

The problem is the textarea attach documents functionality is confusing as the Perch reference means nothing to a lay user and because jpgs are treated differently to pdfs. That is the problem I’m trying to find a solution to and happens whether I have one link or many.

If I added a repeating structured field what field type would you recommend to allow documents to be uploaded - as textarea won’t work?

It’s all here on this page in the docs for you:

https://docs.grabaperch.com/perch/content/templates/how-do-i-upload-images-and-files/

Use content type=“file” for file uploads, set a specific bucket as a destination and let assets manage the docs.