Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Allowing Editors to delete Assets

This is a real case (written with tongue in cheek).

An editor uploaded a personal photo to Assets by mistake. They can't delete it themselves because Perch does't let Editors delete assets.

I'm not sure how long it takes until that photo is cleaned up by Perch?

In the meantime other editors will be able to login and see it and wonder why its there. Thankfully it's not 'too' personal, if you know what I mean.

It does happen, sometimes an image that wasn't meant to be gets uploaded (in this instance by dragging and dropping multiple images).

In this situation the Editor has to call the Developer and ask them for assistance. The Developer wasn't sitting by the phone twiddling his thumbs, waiting for the next task. The Developer had pressing matters to deal with and could do without logging in on behalf of the Editor to remove photos.

Having to stop what I'm doing to help an 'Editor' 'edit' is slightly frustrating.

I think it's a case for allowing Editors to delete Assets.

Maybe a good solution would be that when assets are marked as deleted they go into a bin, but not deleted, just marked as 'in the bin' on the database and hidden from the main Assets. Clicking a 'bin' in Assets would show all images in the bin, where you can permanently delete, or restore an image.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

• 5 years ago

I belatedly second this. I have a photographer client who tends to upload loads of images to try out with blog previews before deciding. I have to go in and hoover up all his discarded photos... though I thankfully haven't seen any 'personal' ones.

I agree completely with the above as well. Over half our clients want to be an editor, not an admin, for fear of going into areas they do not want to affect, yet at the same time want to be able to manually remove their own assets. It's a matter of allowing them to cull their own assets and remove mistakenly added content.