Forum

Thread tagged as: Discussion

Field Groups around Blocks

I really like the new field groups feature. It wont be suitable in every situation but I much prefer the way it works as opposed to using divider-before.

One thing I have noticed is that it does nothing if it appears around perch:blocks. Is it supposed to?

I was hoping to use like this

<perch:group label="Main content">
    <perch:template path="content/content_blocks.html" rescope="parent">
</perch:group>

But that did not show the field grouping at all. I moved the 'perch:group' tags inside the template...

<perch:group label="Main content">
<perch:blocks>
</perch:blocks>
</perch:group>

...but this gave the same result. No field grouping. I think I can appreciate why this might be the case.

Caleb Evans

Caleb Evans 1 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

We've not attempted to group blocks, as you can only have one set of blocks. It would be more common to group items within a block, I think.

I wonder if a possible use case would be one where the summary shows you what blocks have been created rather than any details about the content of the individual block. This would allow the entire blocks section to be collapsed which I don't think is possible at the moment but I can imagine would lead down a rabbit hole of nested field groups that you would rather avoid :)

For me, block content is what usually takes up the majority of the vertical space in admin and usually looks the messiest and most confusing for end users.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Perhaps each block should have a collapsed mode like a group.