Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Contribute to translations

Hello,

If I'm not wrong the translations are user contributions. How can I contribute to improve Spanish translations? There are quite some untranslated strings that I can't find in the .txt.

Proko Mountrichas

Proko Mountrichas 3 points

• 4 years ago
Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Hi, Perch 2 UI Translations are here: https://github.com/PerchCMS/Perch2-UI-Translations

Hi Simon,

Yes I know this repo. Do you mean I should add new entries to the txt files and open a PR? Can you confirm that? When I add the entries locally it has no effect. And also, what about the text in navigation menus? And finally, if the app translations live in the app's folder, how do don't override them when updating the app? There is probably a step I'm missing here.

Thanks

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Those translations are for Perch 2, so they'll include strings that are no longer required in Perch 3.

If your language file is writable by PHP, Perch will add any missing strings.

As time allows we'll get a system in place for contributing to Perch 3 translations.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Thanks Drew, a method where a customised translation isn't destroyed when the app is updated would be great too.

If your language file is writable by PHP, Perch will add any missing strings.

I'm basically trying to translate parts of the shop app like for example the form for adding products. I found .txt files in the app but many strings are not there. I suppose these language files are writable by PHP, aren't they? Or do I need to take any action to make them appear?

Navigation is also a bit of an issue. Are there language files for these strings?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

If you add the following to your config.php you should be able to see all the translatable strings:

define('PERCH_TRANSLATION_ASSIST', true);

Ideally, everything else is user data so doesn't need to be translated. There have been a lot of interface changes (like, everything) so it wouldn't surprise me to find the odd string here or there that still needs translating.