Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Installation, Configuration

htaccess file preventing Perch Setup

Hi, I'm trying to setup Perch on a site that is currently using Wordpress. I get a 404 not found when I browse to the sitename/perch/setup folder. The permissions are correct on the Perch folder and there the directories are fine. I believe it is down to the htaccess file locking down the site. I've just downloaded it and am seeing:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

any ideas how to edit this to make Perch install correctly without failing? or am I on the wrong track here?!

Cormac Kerrigan

Cormac Kerrigan 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Are you installing Perch on a live server? Normally you'd develop offline and move it live when you're done.

You could try ignoring the perch folder:

RewriteRule ^perch - [L] 

Hi Drew. I always install Perch on a live server. There's never normally an issue. But there is a WordPress site existing on this hosting. I've tried your recommendation there and still no joy. If I even try to access website/perch folder it gives me a 404 error! The initial setup yesterday, I managed to get to the actual setup screen. was able to put in licence detail, dbname, etc... but after clicking done the page failed. Ever since then it just gives 404 on the /perch/setup directory.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Ok - let us know if you get it figured out.

Hey Drew! I got this sorted. It was a permissions issue at the wrong level. However as I mentioned already, this is a WordPress site and as such it's thrown me another curve ball. :-/ PHP files don't seem to be able to display? I've just tried uploading a html web page and it renders fine, but the same php copy, displays blank. This seems to be a Wordpress issue where it effectively locks down external PHP, but in your experience how do Perch developers get around this?

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

We've never heard of that before, so we don't have any experience. This isn't the way most people would work so it's less likely you'll find any suggestions.