Forum

Thread tagged as: Error, Configuration

Folder is not writable Error - Creating a page from master

I have perch installed on a Windows 2008 server. I've set up a master page, and when I try to Add a New Page through the Perch Admin, I get an error that says "Folder is not writable: [root folder]\" with the pathname to the root domain folder.

I've had the sys-admin give all the folders write permissions, but he said that they generally can't make the root writeable for security reasons.

What's the solution here? Does perch really need write permissions for the root folder in order for Master pages to work?

Chad Tiffin

Chad Tiffin 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Perch needs permission to create the file in the folder you ask it to. Are you saying that it's asking for permission on a folder other than the one you've told it to create the page in?

My website's pages are all in the domain root, but my server administrator is telling me he can't give me write permissions for the root folder for security reasons.

The error message seems to indicate that its trying to write to the root folder.

I'm ok with having the new pages created in sub-folder where I can have write permissions... but how would I tell perch to create the new pages there?

The perch folder is installed in the root.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Perch mimics the site structure - so set the "Subpage folder" setting on a top-level page to set the folder for any subpages.

Is there any way to set the folder for top-level pages to be created?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Not really, no. The best you could do is create them in a subfolder and then move them in the navigation structure. That's obviously a fairly nasty workaround for a hosting issue.