Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Shop

Perch shop category links

Hi, how do I generate category links from my template? I have this in my template..

</perch:before>
<li>
    <perch:categories id="category" set="products" label="Category">

<a href="/shop/cards/categories/<perch:category id="catSlug" type="slug" />/">
            <perch:category id="catTitle" type="text" />
        </a>

</perch:categories>
</li>
<perch:after> 

and this in my page...

<? perch_shop_products([
    'template' => 'products/category.html',
   ]); ?>

but am getting every item listed with a category tag. But I just wantt one for each. What am I missing?

Thanks

William Chicken

William Chicken 1 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

What do you mean by "every item listed with a category tag" ?

It looks like your template is fairly broken, so that's the first place to start. You should remove the unpaired </perch:before> at the start and the <perch:after> at the end.

Hi Drew. When use the perch: show all tag I can see that each link has complete product information behind it. Hence it is retrieving every item within each category. I should have said ID not tag sorry. Because of this I'm getting duplicate links.

I'm just trying to get a working model at the moment so the code is just a part of a template. The main bit is actually between the before after tags.

<li>
    <perch:categories id="category" set="products" label="Category">

<a href="/shop/cards/categories/<perch:category id="catSlug" type="slug" />/">
            <perch:category id="catTitle" type="text" />
        </a>

</perch:categories>
</li>

It is rough and un-styled but I know but I just need to see how things work for now. Thanks!

I should have said that what I'm trying to achieve is user generated links for either a category splash page or a categories dropdown on the navigation. So when a new category is made in the dashboard the new link will appear without further action from the client.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

If you're trying to list categories, don't use perch_shop_products() - that's for listing products.

Use perch_categories()

perch_categories([
    'set' => 'products',
]);

Of course, Brilliant! Thank you! ps. What template does this use as default so I can copy and edit to turn them into links?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

If you turn on debug you can see all the templates being used:

https://docs.grabaperch.com/docs/installing-perch/configuration/debug/

Got it. Thanks again!