Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Page drafts

Hello,

As far as I know there's no draft mode at the page level, but can be implemented with page attributes. This is fine, but I would love to be able to see the page's status on the page listing in the control panel.

Are there plans to adding a draft mode to pages? I like the various highlights added to a region when it is saved as a draft (pencil icon, preview button, a bar on top of the edit form). It would be nice to see this at the page level too.

Alternatively, I would like to be able to add a column to the page listing from the page attributes template (like in Collection listings).

I think this would make it easier for editors to manage pages and spot which pages are published/drafts.

Hussein Al Hammad

Hussein Al Hammad 105 points

• 3 years ago

I really like this idea!

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Pages don't have any content as such - so what would the draft be of?

Hussein Al Hammad

Registered Developer

Pages don't have any content as such - so what would the draft be of?

The page as a whole: whether it is live/published or still being worked on.

At the moment when you add a page it is live and accessible straight away. After the page is live, editors can add content to regions.

I recently had a meeting with a marketing person who works for a large company in which he mentioned when they add new (landing) pages they need to get them approved before making them live. It sounds like a reasonable workflow for a large company where the decision is not necessarily made by one person.

I can add a status field to the page attribute template and based on that I can restrict access to "draft" pages and hide them from navigation menus and the sitemap. Implementing this is not an issue. There's nothing preventing me from doing so.

However, it would be nice if editors don't have to click on the page and go to the details tab to check whether the status is set to draft/inactive. I think this would be particularly useful for websites where more than one person manages/edits the content.

Also editors can get replaced and new editors can be brought in (this is something that happened in a project I was involved in). So I also think it would be helpful to new editors who are brought into existing projects to easily see that some pages are not live.

As a developer I never paid attention to these things before, but talking to the people who add/edit/manage the content seems to suggest that this is something that would make their job easier.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

So it's more of a show/hide than a revision system you need?

Hussein Al Hammad

Registered Developer

That's correct. "Draft" is probably not the most appropriate term, but it is what content editors seem to be familiar with.

Maybe icon could be an eye with a line through it... with same brown styling as draft for content.