Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Regions, revisions and deleting

I have a client with a website that lists properties. Properties have a single region that contains the data for each property. Properties are deleted as they are sold but I can see that their regions revisions are still in the database in the perch2_content_items table. How long do these region revisions stay in the database? Can we delete them permanently?

The reason for asking is that a third party system collects the data for display on another site. We have a checkbox that should prevent sold properties data being collected and this works for 99% of examples. However, the client wants to make doubly sure that sold properties don't "slip through the net" and wants to permanently delete region data when a property is sold.

Clive Walker

Clive Walker 22 points

• 4 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

If this is Perch a Region is versioned all as one thing, so they will only drop out when the entire reaches the Undo buffer.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

As long as you're accessing the data through Perch and not trying to read the database directly there should be no problem.

The data is accessed by a third party system which reads the database and region data. That's outside my control and part of the reason there is a checkbox for property status. I know that I can set PERCH_UNDO_BUFFER to a small number but that would not affect region versions deletions would it? (just the number of versions kept). I think I'm looking for a way to delete region versions completely after a set time.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

That's not a good idea - you're reading the data without applying the business logic. You should access the content through Perch.

Thanks. Will discuss further with client.