Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Blog

Line Breaks in Markdown

Hi, Forgive my ignorance, but I cannot seem to figure out how to get consecutive line breaks in my markdown to work without having to manually insert <br/>. I'm sure my clients will not want to do this every time they need to make a few line breaks. Any help? Thanks.

Greg Stone

Greg Stone 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Markdown really isn't geared up for that. What you're asking for is to control presentation (the amount of line spacing) with HTML. That's the job of CSS, not HTML.

I know how to address line spacing in css, which I have done. But when writing a post, by pushing enter twice, it still only gives me a single line break instead of two. Are my clients who are using markup, with no code skill at all, going to have to manually insert a <br/> tag to get an extra space in there?

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

What are you seeing in the HTML? Are paragraphs wrapped in paragraph tags? If so the correct HTML is being generated - Markdown won't create gaps in markup like that because that's presentational as Drew explained.

It may be that one of the other editor plugins will allow that kind of HTML to be inserted.

Thanks. The editor plugin is what works the best.