Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions, Discussion
Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Adding an image: when specifying a Bucket.

I have a template with a couple of image regions, one with bucket="banner_images", the other with bucket="Client_Logos"

Whichever one is selected first shows Asset images from the desired Bucket. But clicking on the next image upload button shows the images from the previous Bucket, not the Bucket specified in the template.

It's confusing when the client is asked to select a 'Client Logo' but is presented with the 'banner images' bucket.

It would be good to have the correct Bucket show for that item.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Multiple item regions:

If Cancel is clicked after clicking Add another item, a blank item is created: 'Item1' which is not expected and often goes un-noticed.

It doesn't show front end, but it's a bit untidy and caused a 'count' issue with perch_content_custom.

+1 on both of Simon's points just above.

I'm doing some bulk content addition at the minute and a few things might be worth a consideration:

1. In the asset chooser in a content region it's difficult to see which item you've selected, before hitting the 'Use selected' button. Clicking the asset again de-selects it, i think. This can be a bit disorienting. It would be cool if the border was a bit thicker or more obvious in some way. Or maybe clicking the asset just adds it. No need for 'Use selected' at all?

2. The in-region asset chooser, when uploading multiple files, the already-added images' thumbnails are pushed off the left of the screen. It would be good if they were styled in such a way that they were still semi-visible to the left to the assets chooser. I keep forgetting which was the last one I uploaded and having to close the asset chooser to remind myself. This probably comes with some other UX drawbacks (maybe they're deliberately pushed off the screen as having too many images on the screen at one time confuses the user?), but I thought to put it out there.\

3. In the image field type it would be good if I could specify the output attribute as filename. At present it looks like there are only path, w, h, size, tag and mime. That way I could automatically populate the image alt tag with the file name.

100% agree with Martin's first 2 points. I've used a custom UI plugin to help with the asset chooser but it could do with some improvements out of the box.

Martin Underhill said:

I'm doing some bulk content addition at the minute and a few things might be worth a consideration:

1. In the asset chooser in a content region it's difficult to see which item you've selected, before hitting the 'Use selected' button. Clicking the asset again de-selects it, i think. This can be a bit disorienting. It would be cool if the border was a bit thicker or more obvious in some way. Or maybe clicking the asset just adds it. No need for 'Use selected' at all?

2. The in-region asset chooser, when uploading multiple files, the already-added images' thumbnails are pushed off the left of the screen. It would be good if they were styled in such a way that they were still semi-visible to the left to the assets chooser. I keep forgetting which was the last one I uploaded and having to close the asset chooser to remind myself. This probably comes with some other UX drawbacks (maybe they're deliberately pushed off the screen as having too many images on the screen at one time confuses the user?), but I thought to put it out there.

Something else I've just come across with drafts behaviour: When there's a content item that's in draft status, this is marked on the main Pages list by a 'ghost' document icon and a yellow pencil. The yellow pencil is present when you drill down to the region too. When you go into the region, if it's a multiple item region, there's no indication as to which content item is the draft one. That wee yellow pencil would be a useful marker here too.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

@Martin:

Assets: double-click to use the asset immediately. The two-step process will make sense when we add editing options.

Drafts: No one item in the multiple item region is in draft. The entire region is. This is different for Collections.

It would be good to be able to be able to see which pages are using which master pages when clicking on Master Pages in Runway. To get a consolidated view of the site structure in page terms. Or, possibly better, to add a By Master Page view next to By Region Type on the Pages screen.

@drew makes perfect sense on both counts. Thanks :)

Two things which are high on my list and have been mentioned by multiple clients of mine.

1. The ability to delete assets .
  2. The ability to collapse perch blocks and perch repeaters so that reordering them is much easier when the region exceeds the browser window height.

Thanks!

When adding a new user, the ability to click a button and get a random password generated would be a useful enhancement. It would save going off separately into 1Password just to use its password generator. I generally don't keep a record of the password generated anyway, as it turns up on the email that's sent to the new user. Of course they may well change it to 123456 to match all their other passwords anyway - LOL

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Ability to mark multiple Form responses as spam.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Max count for Blocks to limit the amount of blocks the client can add.

Use case: A row of 4 feature boxes on a site can have different types of content hence Blocks, but client mustn't add more than 4 or it will break the layout/design.

You could limit the output to 4 with perch_content _custom. Doesn't stop them adding more in the control panel though…

Default page in ADD PAGE to be changed from "This page already exists".

Expanding and Collapsing Blocks. This would make it more user friendlily for regions with lots of blocks and also for reordering the blocks.

James Tedder said:

Default page in ADD PAGE to be changed from "This page already exists".

+1

James Tedder said:

Expanding and Collapsing Blocks. This would make it more user friendlily for regions with lots of blocks and also for reordering the blocks.

+1. Also for repeaters.

Possible assets bug: When adding assets to a bucket, the first time the assets chooser is opened the bucket name appears on the asset drop box. If the chooser is opened again before the content is saved, the bucket isn't there – just a blank asset drop area.

If assets could auto-save with ajax trickery once selected/chosen that would be cool. I've sometimes added one too many large images and the server has run out of RAM, meaning I lose everything I've added since the last save. Maybe there are certain cases where this might not be a good idea, which is maybe why it doesn't already happen, but thought to mention as it would be helpful for what I'm doing :)