Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions, Discussion

Being able to create a JPG or PNG from a PDF's first page to output to the website would be awesome. A bit like how Perch creates an image for a PDF thumbnail for the control panel, if running on the Imagemagick library. But something that can be output to the site as a preview for a PDF.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Martin Underhill said:

Being able to create a JPG or PNG from a PDF's first page to output to the website would be awesome. A bit like how Perch creates an image for a PDF thumbnail for the control panel, if running on the Imagemagick library. But something that can be output to the site as a preview for a PDF.

+1

Unless I am seeing something unusual on my Runway install, it seems that the Revisions link on the Smart Bar is only visible if "Allow multiple items" is checked in Region Options. Please can this be fixed. Thanks.

See https://twitter.com/clivewalker/status/623959620609015808

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Asset tray not usable on mobile. It currently isn't possible to select some images as they are 'off screen'.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

As a reminder - this isn't a place for general bug reports. Please raise a new thread with those!

When's Perch 2.9.0 likely to land?

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

When it is ready. We don't give release dates or confirm what will or won't make any particular release. We put out a release yesterday with a large number of enhancements so updates are happening constantly.

A 2.9 release is likely to have larger changes in than one of these minor releases, potentially things that might need some template updates or notification to content editors etc.

James B

James B 0 points

Being able to edit all regions on one screen would save some time. Perhaps just an "All Regions" button could take you there so as not to change anything for those that like to go through every page individually.

James Bertram said:

Being able to edit all regions on one screen would save some time. Perhaps just an "All Regions" button could take you there so as not to change anything for those that like to go through every page individually.

I've mentioned something similar before. I've had clients that don't want to know about regions and just want to choose the page and go straight to editing it.

We have some customers like that, and some prefer to see various regions that make up the page (and to be able to 'play' with blocks and move stuff around too). For those that want everything in one place, we create a template containing all the fields required for the page and they are therefore all in one region. We take the decision on their competence to handle one or the other when we first start discussing the site with them. We quickly learn which way to take a customer from the early planning.

Yeah I often take the 'contain everything to one region' approach but it still means going through to the 'regions' page before being able to edit the content, which adds another layer of friction.

I know you can click a region from the page listing but it's not that obvious and I find a user's instinct is to click the page name, even after being educated.

James B

James B 0 points

Toby Martin said:

Yeah I often take the 'contain everything to one region' approach but it still means going through to the 'regions' page before being able to edit the content, which adds another layer of friction.

I know you can click a region from the page listing but it's not that obvious and I find a user's instinct is to click the page name, even after being educated.

That's it, there's lots of clicking required, having to back out all of the time.

Request

The addition of a class name on the wrapper for required fields in the editor UI.

Implementation

Ie, if a field was set as required="true", then this:

<div class="field">...</div>

Could be something like this instead...

<div class="field required-field">...</div>

Which would then allow the ability to add UI mark-up to make required fields more obvious to editors. For example, this would allow the ability to target the field name with a visual change, such as:

.field.required-field label { color: red; font-weight: bold; }

Reason

I feel like the current usage of the <span class="required">*</span> asterisk is easy to miss in some spots.

I mentioned this as an issue on the forum before and although i was told it was a browser issue etc... it really isn't! (or rather if it is, it's a REALLY common one!)

The admin is really not very responsive. It absolutely falls to pieces on an iPhone 5, the header does all kinds of weird things and is virtually un-useable. Ditto for iPad! It works better, but still things overlap and it all kind of falls to bits.

I understand making a CMS admin panel fully responsive is quite a task, especially trying to cover every eventuality when people can make their own field sets and so on. But right now it may as well not respond at all, as at least that way it would all display and could be navigated with a ton of pinch zooming and scrolling.

Anyway, this is probably my biggest pet peeve with Perch as it stands. I love virtually everything else about it :^) But when I have customers who work 80%+ on a galaxy tab or similar, it means I cant use Perch for their projects. And that seems to be quite a trend these days, for me at least!

James B

James B 0 points

If the parent of a page can be changed, then why not the master template?

That would be a useful update. I think I read that Perch Runway offers this, but I think it's quite a simple feature that should be present in standard Perch.

I would like to see the ability to sort the list of regions that are listed inside 'Editing Shared Regions'. That's at /perch/core/apps/content/page/?id=-1. If that's not possible, can we have them in alpha order of region name? At the moment, new ones just appear to drop into random locations when they are added.

The ability to specify which date select boxes appear the the admin for the Date field type. i.e. Just months and years, or just years.

Not sure if it has already been said, but limiting the number of items in a multiple region - similar to how repeaters have a 'max' attribute would be a useful addition, it's an issue that has come up on a few projects over the last 6 months.

A small UI tweak could be the master page selection menu when creating new pages defaulting to 'link or page exists' regardless of whether master pages exist or not - either defaulting to the first one or being able to define a default master page when creating pages would be very useful as we often have to explain to clients that they need to remember to change the value when adding pages.

Daniel Owen said:

I mentioned this as an issue on the forum before and although i was told it was a browser issue etc... it really isn't! (or rather if it is, it's a REALLY common one!)

The admin is really not very responsive. It absolutely falls to pieces on an iPhone 5, the header does all kinds of weird things and is virtually un-useable. Ditto for iPad! It works better, but still things overlap and it all kind of falls to bits.

I understand making a CMS admin panel fully responsive is quite a task, especially trying to cover every eventuality when people can make their own field sets and so on. But right now it may as well not respond at all, as at least that way it would all display and could be navigated with a ton of pinch zooming and scrolling.

Anyway, this is probably my biggest pet peeve with Perch as it stands. I love virtually everything else about it :^) But when I have customers who work 80%+ on a galaxy tab or similar, it means I cant use Perch for their projects. And that seems to be quite a trend these days, for me at least!

+1 to this.

Hi,

It would be good to be able decide from the templates which extension can be uploaded for an image. Something like:

<perch:content type="image" id="image" label="Image" format="jpg" />
<perch:content type="image" id="image" label="Image" format="jpg, png" />

This would come handy to make sure content manager aren't able to upload png when it's not required for a given content for instance.

Cheers.