Forum

Thread tagged as: Shop

Tax Zones - USA - Multiple Tax Zones Based on Address

Hi Drew, I'm working on a New York City based shop site and have special tax requirements. NY State is an unfortunate jurisdiction where tax rates differ according to COUNTY (of which there are ~70).

Tax rates are only published at the county level, so a NY State customer could be prompted to add their county... Can counties inform tax rates? Do you think think this is something that I can set up with Perch on it's own?? eek!!

Apparently there are a lot of paid services that want to do this for you--I'd like to avoid that if possible, and want to stick to my fully-customizable Perch checkout flow.

I'd planned to use Stripe, but I'm open to other gateways. I see that TaxCloud.js exists to integrate with Stripe but I kind of stopped reading at the part about the UI where the customer has to feed their address to TaxCloud (maybe that's not such an issue though, I don't know).

So I'm wondering if this is something that you've encountered or considered as you built Perch Shop..?

Thank you!

Olympia Kyriakides

Olympia Kyriakides 1 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

At the moment tax locations are based on country, but under the hood things are wired up so it can be extended to regions within countries. What I've not figured out is the mechanism by which a customer would choose their region.

Do you have any model for how that should work?

I know, it doesn't make me feel great to leave it up to the customer to determine their tax region. In the US at least, a post code DB is the best bet. Naturally however, the states make it really tough to consume that information.

The only Perchy thing I can think of at the moment would be to prompt a select form of county regions based on the shipping address state. I'm thinking this county select form could actually be perch_shop_location_form();, which would in turn set the tax location --- and although it would be an undertaking, I could, in theory, create individual tax location for each county...?

And I assume that I would later retrieve id="location" for all of my orders when it's time to file tax returns, and it would inform me of the region.

My shop is only required to collect sales tax in one state, New York, so that simplifies it...a bit :)

And I started to look further into TaxCloud.js (APIs). It's more legit and robust and current that I initially thought.

https://dev.taxcloud.com/guides/getting-oriented-with-taxcloud

https://dev.taxcloud.net/2013/10/03/taxcloud-js_stripe/

Hello,

We've run into a similar issue with Provinces here in Canada. Each province has their own tax rates (although some are the same), but as it seems with the current version of Shop, taxes can only be setup based on Country.

Is there a timeline for a tax implementation beyond the country level? Currently we're not sure of a work-around for making it work otherwise.

Thanks!

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

We can't help multiple people in one thread! If you are awaiting this functionality then we currently don't have an update.

If you need help with a workaround the I'd suggest starting your own thread as otherwise it's going to get very confusing and also spam people with notifications.

I've been keeping this topic on the back burner for as long as possible...now nearing the point that it needs to come front and center.

I've also looked into a TaxJar (paid) integration. I think it might be USA only and is driven by product and order structure that you must build into Stripe (which I would like to avoid). I was actually contacted by a TaxJar support person when I signed up for a trial, so I plan on sounding off on him!

I'll post anything useful here...and I would be interested to hear about the Canadian workarounds as well.

:) good luck to us!