Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Error, Blog

Large images causing 500 errors

Hi,

Having issues with an established site. It is on Fasthosts (can't see a way to get the logs). The client let me know she was getting a 500 error page when trying to save the blog post after adding an image to the metadata tab. This was the basic vanilla post_meta.html file from the download. I noted the image file was a big 4000px wide so I added width="1000" to the image field and tried to reimport the image but that made no difference. I resized the image to 1000px width and uploaded it and the smaller image and it worked. I then checked the in page images - the blog template has feature images. The code did not include a width so the blog page contained the same big 4000px wide image. I tried to remove the image but I got the same error page:

This page isn’t working

www.example.com is currently unable to handle this request. HTTP ERROR 500

So I am wondering how these big images were able to be placed previously without issue - I am assuming Fasthosts have updated something - php perhaps - and that has changed some parameters somewhere. I am probably wrong though. The server has GD (but not image magic like my local MAMP). Diagnostics below - anything I can do?

Perch: 2.8.31, PHP: 5.6.24, MySQL: 5.5.52-MariaDB, with PDO Server OS: Linux, cgi-fcgi Installed apps: content (2.8.31), assets (2.8.31), categories (2.8.31), jw_activity_log (1.0.1), perch_blog (5.0), perch_forms (1.8.3), perch_backup (1.2) App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = array( 'content', 'categories', 'perch_blog', 'perch_forms', ); PERCH_RESFILEPATH: /home/linweb40/i/example.com-1083966372/user/htdocs/assets/img/content PERCH_LOGINPATH: /cms PERCH_PATH: /home/linweb40/i/example.com-1083966372/user/htdocs/cms PERCH_CORE: /home/linweb40/i/example.com-1083966372/user/htdocs/cms/core Image manipulation: GD PHP limits: Max upload 20M, Max POST 20M, Memory: 64M, Total max file upload: 20M F1: 2edba60ed1f613d6dd804feb202456a2 Resource folder writeable: Yes SCRIPT_NAME: /cms/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php REQUEST_URI: /cms/core/settings/diagnostics/ DOCUMENT_ROOT: /home/linweb40/i/example.com-1083966372/user/htdocs HTTP_HOST: www.example.com

Simon Cox

Simon Cox 0 points

• 4 years ago

Oh wait - I put a width="1000" on the featured image code and uploaded - did not seem to make a difference - but now that I have spent 10 mins writing out the above help request something seems to have changed - I refreshed the page and the images are all now the 1000px natural size - so the resizing has worked. Perhaps there was a cache somewhere upstream.

So, sorted.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

A 500 error isn't an error, it is a notification of an error. To see the actual error you need to look in the PHP error log. So if you need additional help with this, we'll need to know what the error you are getting is.