Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Shop

Custom Shipping Zones for States

I am running Perch Runway with the latest Shop app and our shop currently only sells to the United States, however we need to have different shipping zone prices based on state-level addresses - not just countries. All the major shipping companies here charge based on state or zip code - is it possible to replace the database entries for the countries with state options? Or a way to replace the field with a select template object for states in the US? I really need this because if we simply charge everyone just based on weight, some people would end up paying a lot more even though they live within a closer radius of the warehouse.

Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff 0 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Yes, you should be able to set your states up as new locations. You can edit the county list in the control panel.

Awesome! Is there any con for Perch or Stripe processing if I replace the countries with states and then change the template label to "State" everywhere?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You'll need to keep the country code the same for Stripe, I believe.

It seems that the Perch system only recognizes the template field with the country for calculation of shipping zones though. How do I set the country and allow for shipping calculation by state without replacing a necessary field ID?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I don't understand your question. The country code isn't the same as the country ID.

Sorry if I am mixing up terms here, I mean that I need to have a selector with all 50 United States that a customer can set which affects the shipping zones so I can calculate price. We only ship to the United States and process payment using Stripe. What's the best way to go about this?

I was thinking that my option was to replace all of the countries in the system with states and then change the labels so that users would see it as a state selector only. My concern was that if I do it, I wouldn't be able to set the country for Stripe or Perch because the ID would be full of states.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

No, I think that would be fine.