Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Hosting

Is it safe to upgrade from PHP 5.5 to 5.6?

My client's web host is upgrading from PHP 5.5 to PHP 5.6.

Is that safe to upgrade without breaking an existing Perch install? I assume I need to know which version of Perch they're running, but I'm not sure where to find that out.

Eystein Alnaes

Eystein Alnaes 0 points

• 4 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Yes, assuming you are running an up to date version, the Diagnostics Report shows the version number.

Thank you Rachel. I'm running Perch: 2.8.17

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

well we would suggest updating to the latest version of 2 at least - 2.8.34

Thanks, the 2.8.34 update worked well on local and staging, but on production I'm getting a database error when going to the perch login.

Perch could not connect to the database Please check that the access details specified in config.php are correct.

Granted, that error was there before the upgrade - apparently the host had already done the PHP 5.6 upgrade, so I was thinking maybe the Perch upgrade would fix it. But alas, it was unrelated.

I'm trying to find the Server Compatibility Test, but https://grabaperch.com/requirements doesn't seem to offer it anymore?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Have you checked your error log?

I think this might be a question for your hosting company.

I solved it.

I had a switch statement in my config.php so I could easily move between local, staging, and production. In this particular host's environment that somehow didn't run after their upgrade to PHP 5.6. Now hardcoded to only connect directly to production.