Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Runway, Comments

Directory Website

Hi everyone.

I have a customer that basically wants to create a directory website, and as I only use perch these days I wanted to know if anyone else has done this using perch and if so how did you go about it.

The website will have around 10k entries (so they say) .. small image, title, description and link. I have never use perch for this sort of thing before and I wanted to know if it can handle that sort of data.

I have also never used perch runway (and if I'm 100% honest i'm not sure what the differences really are), but is this a perch runway job?

Any help and advise greatly appreciated. Thanks

Stephen Wild

Stephen Wild 3 points

• 5 years ago

This is certainly something which can be done using Standard Perch. Perch could handle hundreds of thousands of such records.

I think Runway would be overkill since you describe just a directory. This sounds like a list and detail site which you can find lots of great documentation on the Grab a Perch website.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Hi Stephen

you don't want to manage that amount of content in standard Perch, no.

This is ideal territory for a Collection in Runway. If you try and do it as a multiple item region in Perch you'll soon find it all becomes very slow as they are not designed for that amount of content. You'll also not benefit from all the additional admin-side filtering and sorting coming in Runway 2.9 that won't be available to Perch.

Collection items are versionned individually which means they will stay fast in the admin even if you have thousands of them. So even just from an ability to admin that amount of data point of view you would need Runway. Also if you want to then be able to relate items now or in the future, that's a Runway thing.

Runway, and a Collection would be the way to go, and pretty straightforward.

Rachel

Stephen,

oops, I have to say my advice was not nearly as thought out as Rachels. Please ignore my response, as I wasn't thinking clearly :(

RK

Thanks Rachel,

It sounds like i'm going to have to dedicate some time to learning more about perch runway and using its "Collections"...

Do you have an idea on a release date for perch runway 2.9, as it doesn't seem viable without the admin filtering.

Thanks again.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

We don't have a release date, but it's what we're working on right now.

Im also looking at building a directory website and wondered how you would allow a member submit data to be displayed on the front end

FYI: There is a (small) directory site of Perchers here https://perchd.io/perchers

Not sure if Phil Smith used Runway and/or Collections so you would need to ask him that.

Thanks for the heads up