Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem

Role with No Access To Make Changes

We need to give an outside programmer access to our system so I tried to create a Role that only permits him to sign in.

However, when I tested this new user, for which I only ticked the Sign In box, I found I can freely make changes to pages.

Am I doing something wrong or is that an issue?

Stefan Youngs

Stefan Youngs 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Have you restricted access on the pages themselves?

What do you mean? I've assigned the role of user X to be able to sign-in only. Why would I have to do anything with pages?

If I wanted the role to edit a page I would have clicked the appropriate box, but I haven't.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

By default, pages are no restricted. You can restrict access if you choose, but Perch is permissive system by default.

When editing the Role, go to the Actions tab and make sure the options there reflect what you want the users to be able to do.

I never spotted the Actions tab. Thanks for pointing it out.

Is there a combo whereby I can create a new user with a new role such that it gives him permission to inspect and edit ONLY a page he creates?

I can't find a way to do that. If I revoke page permissions these are global, whereas I need to revoke them for any page NOT created by the new role.

The objective is to allow one of our offshore freelancers to inspect a page that I create for him using his sign-in and role/actions. In other words it appears to be a page created by the freelancer. I want him to be able to experiment with a plug-in he's building for Redactor but ONLY on that page. Obviously I don't want him to be able to change or delete any other pages.

If the answer is obvious, I'll ask you to forgive my inability to see the answer.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

1. Do the batch change to the existing pages from the Actions tab
  2. Set up the new page
  3. In the new page options, allow only the new role to edit it.