Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Publish date

Hi, I may be missing this already - but I don't think it exists already?

As an extension to the 'save as draft' and 'publish' buttons, could there be a way to define a future go live date for content - either full pages or updates to existing pages? Allowing editors to create something in advance and let if go live automatically on a pre-defined date? Would be beneficial in a number of scenarios - new product launches, price changes, advertising/marketing campaigns, etc.

With this, there would be some expectation that navigation/pages to it may need to be hidden if the page hadn't been published before and of course, hidden from search until the publish date is current.

Haydn Ward

Haydn Ward 4 points

• 7 years ago

Haydn, normally I would use a perch_content_custom() with a filter on the date field, but you bring up something I had never really thought about and that is the search aspect. I will follow this post to see what perch responds.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Search would be the tricky bit (and it's the same issue I've faced on the 24 ways site).

You can add a published date to content as Robert says, and also to pages using page attributes. This can then be filtered using the navigation functions.

Thanks guys, I had thought about the content_custom option, filtering by date but search was the stumbling block as it looks at everything regardless.

I may be over simplifying how search works, but if the published status and date became permanent attributes of any page/content region, could the search look for content that matches the queried term but only where the published status is true and published date is current or in the past?

That may also help with some previous issues/questions I've seen about hiding certain regions/content from search.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Well, it could, but it doesn't do that. Search doesn't have any way to apply filters currently.

Currently? ...does that mean it's on the drawing board for a future update?

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

There are hundreds of things in the backlog - we prioritise development based on what will make the difference to the most people. This is tagged Suggestions so will end up considered if it turns out it would be useful to a decent number of customers.