Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Error, Hosting

Blank page when attempting Perch log in; site pages not displaying correctly

Hi there

My little Perch site has been running for several years with few amendments and no problems: https://www.endodontist.co.uk

Last week the client alerted me that the site wasn't displaying correctly: none of the Perch content areas were displaying and a portion of one template is displayed thus:

'/patient-testimonials.html', 'template'=>'patient-testimonial.html', 'sort'=>'date', 'sort-order'=>'DESC', 'count'=>2, 'start'=> 2 )); ?>

At that stage I logged in to the Perch admin and all looked ok. Then I looked at the .htaccess file on the server where the following code had been added:

# php -- BEGIN cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
# Set the “ea-php70” package as the default “PHP” programming language.
<IfModule mime_module>
  AddType application/x-httpd-ea-php70 .php .php7 .phtml
</IfModule>
# php -- END cPanel-generated handler, do not edit

I queried with the hosting company whether this additional code was causing the php display problems but, despite repeated tickets and queries, they assure me that the site is running perfectly and there is definitely no error.

I have found the following at the end of an error log in the php folder of the site:

thrown in /home/unbefudd/public_html/endodontist.co.uk/perch/lib/PerchDB_MySQL.class.php on line 18
[25-Jun-2017 17:31:21 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/unbefudd/public_html/endodontist.co.uk/perch/lib/PerchDB_MySQL.class.php:18
Stack trace:
#0 /home/unbefudd/public_html/endodontist.co.uk/perch/lib/PerchDB_MySQL.class.php(62): PerchDB_MySQL->open_link()
#1 /home/unbefudd/public_html/endodontist.co.uk/perch/lib/PerchDB_MySQL.class.php(100): PerchDB_MySQL->get_link()
#2 /home/unbefudd/public_html/endodontist.co.uk/perch/lib/PerchSettings.class.php(36): PerchDB_MySQL->get_rows('SELECT settingI...')
#3 /home/unbefudd/public_html/endodontist.co.uk/perch/lib/PerchLang.class.php(19): PerchSettings->get('lang')
#4 /home/unbefudd/public_html/endodontist.co.uk/perch/lib/PerchLang.class.php(39): PerchLang->__construct()
#5 /home/unbefudd/public_html/endodontist.co.uk/perch/lib/PerchLang.class.php(56): PerchLang::fetch()
#6 /home/unbefudd/public_html/endodontist.co.uk/perch/index.php(26): PerchLang::get('Log in')
#7 {main}
  thrown in /home/unbefudd/public_html/endodontist.co.uk/perch/lib/PerchDB_MySQL.class.php on line 18

I know very little of php and less of internal server workings so decided I would copy and paste the content from Perch back into my html pages to get the site up and running again for my client, which is when I found the white screen of death when trying to log in to: https://www.endodontist.co.uk/perch

So I am now stuck.

Can any of you lovely people at Perch help me out, please?

Many thanks

Elaine Brennan

Elaine Brennan 0 points

• 4 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Which version of Perch is this?

The Perch files on the server date from Dec 2012 to Feb 2013. Is there a version number given in one of the files? Can't find one so far and can't get into the Perch admin to check there.

Thanks

You can normally find the version listed in perch/core/perch.php

Since you are running at least a (4) year old version of perch I can tell you you've got a lot of updating to do. Quite some time back there was an update for security which (All) versions of perch were effected as well as many apps have been updated since.

Likely, your hosting service has made PHP updates which would have broken older versions of Perch. At this point if your not comfortable with updating yourself you may need to hire this out. There is a list of Registered Developers at grabaperch.com/developers which could help you with updating.

Thanks Robert, I think you are correct. I'll have a go at the updating.