Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Same here. I have at least a couple of images still hanging around after a week and many edits that still won't delete after development that just won't disappear even though they are not being used anywhere. A safe way of deleting/hiding would be good.

I'm afraid I'm with those who feel there should be some way of deleting or removing images. I appreciate wanting to protect the client, but being a content management system people expect to be able to manage their content. With great power comes great responsibility and all that. There are several instances where it's frustrating for people to have old files lying around - testing, when lots of dummy stuff might get uploaded, if a client continually uploads something which isn't quite right so keeps adding a new version. Sometimes protecting people from mistakes can create a more frustrating user experience than not. Even if it was an admin function it would be something. (Plus, I have assets over three days old which haven't disappeared.)

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Deleting Assets was added to the latest release. Have you updated?

If your assets "over three days old" haven't disappeared then it is likely they are still in the history stack. This is how Undo works. If we don't store content then you have no way to Undo.

Rachel Andrew said:

If your assets "over three days old" haven't disappeared then it is likely they are still in the history stack. This is how Undo works. If we don't store content then you have no way to Undo.

faceplam - no, thanks Rachel

Rachel Andrew said:

I'm on the latest update (a week later) many edits and undos. Yet still 4 images persistently remain.

One odd thing... The client wanted to change one image (slightly different crop) so uploaded an image to an existing asset which created as second "my image 1" rather then changing the current image. What should the behaviour be in this instance?

David, creating a new image is the correct behaviour as it is a new image/asset. You might use different crops of the same image in different instances of a website.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

David - what size is your history stack? Just because you can't see an image in use doesn't mean it is not tied to historical content.

If you use the new delete functionality you should get an intermediary warning if you try and delete Assets that are used in content so that you are warned that you may break things.

Terry Upton said:

David, creating a new image is the correct behaviour as it is a new image/asset. You might use different crops of the same image in different instances of a website.

That does sound reasonable. But what if that image was being used in multiple places around the site? From the client point of view he did not expect to have re-visit all those places on the site. He was just wanting to re-place that image believing asset's are the source of truth. Always expect the unexpected!

Rachel Andrew said:

David - what size is your history stack? Just because you can't see an image in use doesn't mean it is not tied to historical content.

If you use the new delete functionality you should get an intermediary warning if you try and delete Assets that are used in content so that you are warned that you may break things.

Oops! there's been a point update to 2.5.4. Did not notice that. Let me update and check.

Rachel Andrew said:

That's fixed it - albeit a warning for those assets might be in use - perfect thanks!

Rachel Andrew said:

Is it possible to create an "editor" role that is able to delete assets? (kinda like a level 2 editor role) I can't find it in the list of privileges.

+1 for letting editors delete assets. Giving them Admin rights would be much more risky than deleting an asset that's no longer used, except in the undo stack (which none of our clients use).

A "clear assets" function for Admins would be nice to clean up the Assets before launching a website (it could also clear the undo stack), as deleting the assets 1 by 1 is tedious (locate the asset by flicking through Assets pages, click on an asset, load the confirmation screen, go back to the Assets' main page instead of the previous page, go back to right page in the assets, click to delete, confirmation screen, ...).

I applaud the approach Perch has taken. It is very well-reasoned.