Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Discussion

Importing a lot of products

Hi there,

My client has just emailed asking is there a way to import 100s of products into his technical centre - https://aerocommetals.co.uk/products/ with minimal effort.

I looked at importing them straight into the database but it looks a lot more complicated. Can you suggest any way of doing this. Or do I just go back with bad news and say it has to be manual.

Thanks

Fishtank Creative

Fishtank Creative 2 points

• 7 years ago

I was able to upload multiple images to a client's website by using the new Assets app but not through the dashboard. Instead I did it through a region which has an 'Image Template' and click Select or upload an image

This then makes the side drawer slide out. Now you can click Add Asset and multiple images can be selected at once.

It would be a good feature to be added to the main Assets app though.

A CSV import feature of some sort would be a good solution if it was possible.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

There isn't currently any bulk import functionality.

Which route would you recommend to our developer if he was to tackle this?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Where is he planning to import to, and where from?

I think importing a CSV file into the Perch Content Items table in the database from some sort of upload field using the forms app.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I don't think the Forms app would be at all suitable here.

I guess the only advice I could give would be to make sure all content is marshalled correctly through field types. What you're doing isn't supported, so we can't offer help if it doesn't work out.

Ok thanks, I think the best way would be to take the products section out of Perch and create some sort of import tool in a separate database, so we don't mess anything up within Perch.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

You could get your developer to develop it as an app that uses the Perch API, that way you could still use the Perch Admin (and get a bunch of functionality that is part of Perch).

https://docs.grabaperch.com/api/