Forum

Thread tagged as: Runway

Collections, Chunks and the Initial Build Out

I am very curious about Perch Runway, as I'm sure others are, and look forward to learn more about it.

In podcast episode 39 announcing Perch Runway you shared that Perch Runway would offer a path for sites to grow as they get larger and more complex. As you continue the build out could you share a bit more what it might look like, maybe in a podcast episode. I respect the need to keep focus, so if you want to keep it a bit under wraps while you work on it no worries at all.

That said, my intention to pose some questions might help facilitate a conversation.

• What case scenarios would be possible with Perch Runway that isn't possible with Perch?
  • How would the structured content chunks or Collections be identifiable or sortable?
  • Would Collections integrate with Perch Pages, Perch Events, Perch Blog or be more stand alone, ie could you have a perch:content region on the same page as a perch:collection region?
  • Would we be able to migrate from Perch Pages or a region on a page into Collections as content grows?
  • The Blog App now has sections, categories, authors, and tags. The Event App has categories too. Perch Pages have list and detail content. Would collections integrate, duplicate, replace or build on these kinds of features across Apps?

Exciting times for our Perch community.

Cheers!

Scott Gruber

Scott Gruber 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

• What case scenarios would be possible with Perch Runway that isn't possible with Perch?

A big part of Perch Runway is making things easier. A lot of stuff is possible right now with Perch, but we know it could be easier if the functionality was brought in.

Routing is a big example. Right now you can build a site with Perch and use a whole bunch of mod_rewrite rules in your server config to route different URLs to different pages. That's possible today and something lots of people do, but Perch doesn't have the infrastructure to make it really easy.

Perch Runway adds that infrastructure. Add one rewrite rule to route all requests to Perch Runway, and then it will give you simple tools to do the rest.

• How would the structured content chunks or Collections be identifiable or sortable?

Collections are configurable to appear in (for now) two different ways. Either as an item in the Pages list, or as a menu item in the Apps list (as if it were a dedicated custom app).

They're sortable much like content regions - with a configurable sort order, and then they can be re-sorted on the page when it comes to display.

• Would Collections integrate with Perch Pages, Perch Events, Perch Blog or be more stand alone, ie could you have a perch:content region on the same page as a perch:collection region?

You can use a Collection anywhere you can use a content region. Collections aren't tied to pages.

• Would we be able to migrate from Perch Pages or a region on a page into Collections as content grows?

We don't have that built yet, but yes, that's the intention. A standard content region will be able to be turned into, or maybe imported into, a Collection. (Maybe imported so that multiple regions can be combined into a Collection.)

• The Blog App now has sections, categories, authors, and tags. The Event App has categories too. Perch Pages have list and detail content. Would collections integrate, duplicate, replace or build on these kinds of features across Apps?

Yes! ;)

Thank you very much.

I listened to the podcast introducing Perch Runway again this morning and found it very informative and recommend others in the Perch community to check it out.