Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Forms

Setting options in a Perch Forms template

Is there any way of defining the options in perch:input select field from outside the form? Feeding in a list of items from a perch:content region.

I've had a play with dataselect and variables but seems no dice.

Robert Sinclair

Robert Sinclair 4 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Yes, the <perch:content /> tags get parsed before the <perch:input /> tags, so you can do something like

<perch:input type="select" options="<perch:content id="my_options" ...  />" ... />

Okay, thank you. That doesn't seem to work. If you use that it doesn't output anything.

However, if I change perch:content to perch:input it outputs a field with the variable content in it.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

How are you displaying the region? With perch_content_custom() ?

Curses! Thank you for that prompt. Yes, variables passed into a template only work only work for templates which are parsed at runtime. So perch_content_custom not perch_content.

I also tried to use the variable to set the name of the form so that I could set up a dynamic form that responded to different user options so that I would then direct submissions to different email addresses in admin. However, I get an error about calling a function on a non-object. Does the form submission check in with the original form and therefore doesn't like the renaming?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You cannot mess with the form ID. That must be a literal string.

Thank you for that clarification.