Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Members file downloads using only passwords

I found this thread about creating protected downloads using the Members app. I have that set up just fine, but I'm wondering about creating a login form that only requires a password — no email or username needed.

I realize this is significantly less secure than a username/password combination and accept that.

I also don't need to use the Members app for any "true" membership needs, just protecting the file downloads.

Is it possible to make it so the email address is not needed for Members? Or maybe there is another way to accomplish this?

Kirk Roberts

Kirk Roberts 0 points

• 7 years ago

Just responding to get email notifications (there is no checkbox for that when creating the thread).

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The default checkbox is in your grabaperch.com account.

There's no way to do that with the Members app currently.

Good to know about the checkbox (in preferences), thanks.

Bummer on the password-protected files. Back to the drawing board on that one for me.

Hi Kirk

You may be able to achieve this with a password protected directory.

Tom, thanks for the suggestion. That may work functionally in this case but probably isn't going to provide the level of polish I'd like for the client to admin it and the viewer to experience. It also seems to still require a username/password combination, whereas I'd prefer only requiring a password for simplicity's sake. Thanks for chiming in and I'll keep this approach in mind.

I cobbled something together using the Perch secure bucket approach, the secure_download function from the Members app (copied into another file as I don't need the rest of the app), a multi-item region with text inputs for the passwords, and a vanilla form with a password field. It's extremely basic but it works for now and can be improved later if needed.