Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Suggestions, Blog

Anyone imported to Perch Blog from WordPress?

Would love to hear from people who've done this and on how well it works. Specifically how (or if) it handles images that are included in the WordPress blog posts. We use Perch Blog on some other sites.

I have a WP Blog that we're going to try to move to Perch Blog. The current WP site is so regularly attacked by bots that we've had to limit the IPs that can log in as no other way has managed to stop them. All plugins for this just cause increased memory and MySQL load. The WP blog just got 44,000 bot hits in 16 minutes trying to break wp-login.php. The fix we have isn't permanently workable because the blog writers are all on dynamic IPs. The Blog owner is a big fan of Perch and is keen to get away from WP but we may have to migrate the current blog.

Graham Street

Graham Street 17 points

• 7 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

I did :)

https://www.rachelandrew.co.uk/archives/2012/10/21/moving-from-wordpress-to-perch/

I'd suggest doing it on a dev copy then checking - also make sure WP is up to date first as we don't test against ancient versions.

Yes, WP is the latest version. I read the post on your site before posting the question. In fact your post came up near the top of a Google search. I couldn't see any references to inline post images, so can the import cope with those? Or would we have to add them to Assets afterwards? Or maybe we just dispense with them in the conversion? (as they may not be essential)

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Images that are just included in the body of the post aren't touched. The thinking was you could just move over your WP images folder to the new site and they'd continue to work.

Got it. By default, that's the /wp-content/uploads folder (plus subfolders/images). We'll give it a go and see what we can do. Thanks, Graham