Forum

Thread tagged as: Configuration, Forms

form handler not found

I have a form that appeared to submit ok locally , but took ages on the live site. When I turned on debug I am seeing

'form handler not found' in the Debug Message.

When I checked back, I am getting the same error message on dev, although the form sumbits fine and a success message is displayed.

I have included perch_forms in the config/apps.php file

My htaccess file looks like this

RewriteEngine On # Redirect to PHP if it exists. # e.g. example.com/foo will display the contents of example.com/foo.php RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}.php -f RewriteRule ^(.+)$ $1.php [L,QSA]
Andy Clark

Andy Clark 0 points

• 5 years ago

Remade the form and now okay on dev. Will test on live site.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

What value do you have set for the app attribute on your perch:form tag?

Hi Drew,

app="perch_forms"

The problem was that I had set notify admin when a form is submitted, but there is no mail server. When I unchecked the autoresponse and response options it all worked fine.

I assume a need a mail server set up to send email via Perch?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You need a mail server to send email, but that shouldn't stop the form submitting or produce the error you gave.

The form did submit, however it was taking forever for the success message to appear. Once I unchecked the response and autoresponse on the form options the success message was sent instantly.

Check the response checkbox only - it took about 90 seconds for the success message. Check the autoresponse only - processes instantly

It does say that an email server is required for the response option. So all working as expected.

Thanks Drew

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

The email is sent as part of the form processing - so if the mail server is slow, that will slow down the page load.

Normally you'd push email jobs into a queue that is processed without the user attached, but we don't have that sort of luxury with a self-hosted product like Perch.