Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Meta

Some Regions keep being marked as "NEW" in the Backend

Hey there,

in my build, there are some Regions that keep being marked as "NEW" in the Backend, as shown on the picture: screenshot

These Regions are by no means new, as I already entered some content using the backend. However, all of their templates are using either iFrames to fetch more content, or are called by a perch_content_custom() function on multiple pages and just store their information in some kind of "phantom page"...

To be honest, the reason for the "NEW" notification showing up is not too much of a matter to me. I'd be totally glad to just be able to switch off all of the "NEW" signs showing up in the backend, as editors are not allowed to add new regions in the build anyway.

Diagnostic Report:

Perch: 3.1.1, PHP: 5.6.36, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev - 20120503 - $Id: 76b08b24596e12d4553bd41fc93cccd5bac2fe7a $, with PDO
Server OS: Linux, cgi-fcgi
Installed apps: content (3.1.1), assets (3.1.1), categories (3.1.1)
App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = [ ];
PERCH_LOGINPATH: /backend
PERCH_PATH: /homepages/6/d358244252/htdocs/cms/backend
PERCH_CORE: /homepages/6/d358244252/htdocs/cms/backend/core
PERCH_RESFILEPATH: /homepages/6/d358244252/htdocs/cms/backend/resources
Image manipulation: GD
PHP limits: Max upload 64M, Max POST 64M, Memory: 256M, Total max file upload: 64M
F1: 3b606135b33e6a102526838f4152a807
Resource folder writeable: Yes
HTTP_HOST: test.coachkonsult.de
DOCUMENT_ROOT: /kunden/homepages/6/d358244252/htdocs/cms
REQUEST_URI: /backend/core/settings/diagnostics/
SCRIPT_NAME: /backend/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php

Thanks for your replies!

Best, Arne

Arne Spremberg

Arne Spremberg 0 points

• 3 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

If you click through to them, do you see your entered content?

Drew McLellan said:

If you click through to them, do you see your entered content?

Yes!!

some of them, though, have templates without content to be entered

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Is there a discernible pattern as to which?

Drew McLellan said:

Is there a discernible pattern as to which?

One is using a template which only contains an iFrame (I deactivated the built in X-Frame blocker, since I cared for it in the htaccess)

The other ones are located on "phantom pages" that aren't included in the page's nav, I only opened them once so they are listed in the Backend. In there I save some information that needs to be globally fetched on other pages using the perch_content_custom() function. This is information such as contact data, which then is called through perch_content_custom in a custom layout I added for the footer, which then gets called in every page.

As this is a rather complicated template structure, I'm not really looking to find a solution for all of this (even though you might be), I would be more than glad to just find a way to deactivate the notification at all.

Thanks for your help :)

Hussein Al Hammad

Hussein Al Hammad 105 points
Registered Developer

Hello Arne,

The other ones are located on "phantom pages" that aren't included in the page's nav, I only opened them once so they are listed in the Backend. In there I save some information that needs to be globally fetched on other pages using the perch_content_custom() function. This is information such as contact data, which then is called through perch_content_custom in a custom layout I added for the footer, which then gets called in every page.

Perhaps this should be a shared region: https://docs.grabaperch.com/video/v3/shared-regions/

https://docs.grabaperch.com/perch/control-panel/region-options/shared-content/

That would have been a good solution, only that I have two shared "regions" which actually contain multiple sub regions so I decided to do it differently, even though it would also have been possible to put all of the sub regions inside a new template and then use it as a shared region.

By the way: I just switched one of the falsely "new" regions to a shared one, and it completely disappeared, it's content also got deleted!!

Hussein Al Hammad

Hussein Al Hammad 105 points
Registered Developer

By the way: I just switched one of the falsely "new" regions to a shared one, and it completely disappeared, it's content also got deleted!!

If all your pages have a region with the same key and you switch one of them to a shared region, I think they all become a single shared region. Is it not listed under the shared regions?

Hussein Al Hammad said:

If all your pages have a region with the same key and you switch one of them to a shared region, I think they all become a single shared region. Is it not listed under the shared regions?

Nope, it completely disappeared, but only one page had the region...

Well, I finished the work for the customer now and all I wanted to do is some cosmetic work to have a tidy backend...

If there is a need for that I will rework the structure using shared regions, but for now I'll keep it like this, my client seems happy so far :)