Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Suggestions, Comments

Working with Assets - first time impressions

Hi

I've just built my first Assets-powered site this morning and have noted down my following comments while working with it:

An ability to sort the assets alphabetically dynamically is missing. If you've got hundreds of images then scrolling down for ages is not really ideal.

If search worked properly then this wouldn't matter so much, but search doesn't work with shortened keywords. You have to put the whole word in. Could the field also have a clear button so that the list view reappears if there are no results?

When accessing Assets in the sidebar in list mode, I cannot scroll down beyond the height of the window most of the time. This is happening Safari 7.05. Works in latest Chrome though. It makes Assets impossible to use in list mode.

View button – clicking a grid makes a list and vice versa – is this logical? I'm not sure clients will get this. Clicking grid should mean the view turns into a grid. Perhaps it should have icons side by side.

The filter button keeps sticking. If I clear the filters and then bring back the sidebar the filter is still there. Clicking a clear filter button clears both filters if set. It should only clear itself surely? This is happening in Safari and Chrome.

The close button is actually the log out button - it looks too much like a modal window close icon. Clients will click this. I have. UPDATE – I've implemented the 2.5.4 fix this morning but it's now a dual use button. This isn't at all intuitive as a UI element.

All in all Assets is an excellent and very welcome improvement to Perch so many thanks Drew and Rachel. I hope my comments help with its continued improvement!

Jonathan Elliman

Jonathan Elliman 27 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The close button is actually the log out button - it looks too much like a modal window close icon. Clients will click this. I have. UPDATE – I've implemented the 2.5.4 fix this morning but it's now a dual use button. This isn't at all intuitive as a UI element.

What do you want from me?

Nothing Drew. These are just comments and some bugs reports for your and other users' reference.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Tongue in cheek, but I'm not sure how you'd like to see this resolved.

I don't want that button to mean anything other than log out. But then you're telling me that you keep clicking log out by mistake, so I've added protection against that action. Now you don't like that clicking log out does something other than logging you out. I can't win.

I guessed that! I could hear the howl of frustration from here in Hampshire.

You can't win, no. We're a fussy lot, us designers. This is a fix, agreed.

My underlying concern is that we have to deal with the questions from clients and believe me this will confuse them. I mean, just logging in confuses some of my clients :)

I fear that the underlying design doesn't really work, hence the fact that you are having to compromise by altering its behaviour between screens. All it might need is something as simple as switching to a different icon for the log out button. The current icon is perhaps too close to a close button used on many other sites.

Hello, similar topic so thought I'd post here...

Just upgraded to 2.5.4 - wonderful that I can delete assets!

A few questions on the latest release particularly regarding managing the almost 800 image assets that i now (rather wonderfully) have on my existing site:

1. Only displaying 24 images per page is frustrating when I have to click 'next' 31 times to get to the images I want. Would be great if there were a way to do one or more of the following: sort the images, or choose to have more images per page, or hit 'previous' when on first page? (incidentally, what sequence are the images sorted by?) Might this be possible in a future release?

2. How does the bucket functionality work? Everything seems to be in 'default' and cant figure out how to add buckets or allocate etc.

3. What are tags for? Can i group by tags within 'Assets'? Or are they just for accessing images from within Perch?

Thanks for all your help and wonderful that I can now delete assets.

Cheers - Mark