Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

My Perch Requests

Hey!

I wanted to create a post to document my feature requests for Perch and relevant apps.

Perch is a super awesome amazing product and it’s so close to being perfect, and that’s an awesome achievement in itself.

Perch/Runway .

• More customisation in templates admin side. Possibly being able to put things into tabs, to declutter larger templates to make it easier to edit (For bigger Runway sites).
  • Better image manipulation, set a size that must be adhered too; with possible crop/edit basic functionality

Perch Shop

• Better filtering/searching for products and orders rather than just sort.
  • Recurrring subscriptions (In Trello so all good!)
  • Sales reports, more advanced data (In Trello again)
  • Product customisation (In Trello again)

Any questions/feedback about the suggestions, please don’t hesitate to ask :)

Ryan Gittings

Ryan Gittings 1 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

If you have any concrete examples of what you'd like to see, that would be useful. Asking for "better" is almost useless without describing what you would consider would make something better.

Ryan Gittings

Ryan Gittings 1 points
Registered Developer

Sure, here's some examples!

Image Manipulation

Craft's Crop Options

Filtering

Shopify's filtering in Ddmin

Sales Reports

Opencart Dashboard Shopify

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

The actual use cases you have are what is most helpful. "Please copy this product" isn't, because in general different products are serving different users, have different constraints etc.

What we are interested in, and why we collect suggestions via a forum rather than asking people to submit a tick list of features, is what you are trying to achieve. New features tend to be developed by looking at the tasks a range of our customers are trying to achieve and working out the common needs there. Not by looking at our competitors and seeing what we might like to copy. If everyone did product development like that, everything would ultimately end up identical :D

Ryan Gittings

Ryan Gittings 1 points
Registered Developer

Hi Rachel,

There were merely suggested as "concrete examples" of the features I mean, as requested by Drew. I'm not saying copy these examples, I'm saying what they do is a good example, and can be implemented in whatever way you & Drew deem best.

If I can provide any more details that will help, let me know. Surely seeing what is out there, what works well, what doesn't, how Perch can do it better is a good starting point when implementing any type of feature. :)

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

If you do think up a use case for any of these, please add it to the thread.

Ryan Gittings

Ryan Gittings 1 points
Registered Developer

Tabs use case: using Runway for a large multi-language site, with inputs for different languages. Being able to split these up into tabs would be able to cleanup UI, and give relevant editors easier access to their language section, all edited in one place.

Image manipulation use case: clients wanting specific crops, saves the developer using Photoshop or relevant tools to crop manually. Also, clients wanting a crop of a certain size, but not uploading a big enough image results in a image resized, but not cropped, so layouts can look uneven.

Filters use case: faster selection of products and orders, for example finding by ID, title, shipping address or order total. Finding specific orders is likely to occur while a customer is on the phone, so two people's time is wasted by an inefficient process.

Sales Reports use case: clients coming from other eCommerce solutions commented on the lack of data available to summarise profits/expenditure by custom range, day, week etc. Being able to find orders within a specific date range gives obvious admin benefits for generating reports.

+1 what Ryan said.

• Expansion of the Shop API to update products keeping previous custom fields intact.
  • As with taxes. It would be great to be able to set more than 3 types of pricing.

Regarding the product filters. What about making a new ''panel'' for us to upload our set of keywords we would like to use. Along with keyword priority. Rather than leaving that to MySQL to decide.