Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Runway

How do I restrict access to just one collection?

Hi

I'm using Perch Runway, I've got four collections. One of the collections is called 'careers', I've created a new user with the intention of limiting the user's access to just the 'careers' collection.

I've created a role with no privileges, can only login. But the pages, apps and assets are still available?

Screenshot of user logged in with no privileges https://www.dropbox.com/s/ce5mc61vtdy5ect/Screenshot%202015-07-28%2018.55.43.png?dl=0

Is this possible?

Perch Runway 2.8.4

Stephen Meehan

Stephen Meehan 4 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Does it still happen in 2.8.10?

I've not upgraded the live website yet, I'll have to update the development site. I just thought you might know off the top of your head - no worries - I'll update the dev site and report back.

Thanks for the reply Stephen

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

We've done lots of work in this area, so it could well be fixed. You're on quite an out of date version.

Hi Drew

I've updated to 2.8.10. I can't get it to work?

Here's a screenshot of my role creation screen, Under privileges I was hoping to see a section called collections with all the collections I've created listed.

I want to create a role that only has access to a collection called projects.

Screenshot

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

To change Collection privileges, go to the Collection, then to Options and the "May be edited by" option.

Thanks Drew

I can limit access to the collections, but they still show in the menu (when the restricted user is logged in), plus there's a few things that aren't working as expected.

Here's what I have.

A new role called Limited Access (this is just a test role name)

The only checkbox ticked is Log in, I'd expect everything else that isn't ticked to not show for this user. This doesn't happen?

Screenshot

When I login as the restricted access user, I still see parts of the website I don't want this user to have access to.

• The only privilege I selected for this user was the option to login
  • I only need this user to have access to and see the projects collection - nothing else.
  • How come this user can still access/see Pages and MailChimp
  • The user can also see vacancies, but they can't access it. If they can't access it, why can they see it?

Screenshot

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I only need this user to have access to and see the projects collection - nothing else.

That's not possible.

How come this user can still access/see Pages and MailChimp

Pages is always available to all users. Do you have the latest version of the MailChimp app? That now has a privilege for this.

The user can also see vacancies, but they can't access it. If they can't access it, why can they see it?

That's a bug.

Hi Drew

Thanks for the reply :)

Will it ever be possible to create a user with access only to one or a handful of collections?

My use case is I've a large collection called projects, my client wants a third party to update this part of the website - but doesn't want them to have access to anything else.

I'll upgrade MailChimp app (whoops).

Hope to see the bug fixed in a future release.

Thanks again Stephen

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I've logged it so it should get fixed.

We'll need to have a think about access to pages. It throws up lots of questions, like where does a user get sent to when they log in!

Hi Drew

I have a client that wishes to have exactly this functionality (for effectively the same use case too). Are there any plans in the near future to create a user role that has a 'Manage Collections' permission, that can tie in to the current functionality with adding a role to the collection too (so we can restrict them to the Vacancies collection)?

Thanks.

Lee

Hi Drew

I've be asked about this from another client recently.

We'll need to have a think about access to pages. It throws up lots of questions, like where does a user get sent to when they log in!

As the login would be associated with one collection, wouldn't the user be sent to that collection?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

As I say, there's a lot to think about. If they're associated with three collections, which one then? and so on.

I'm thinking it over, but there's no match switch I can flip to just make it happen over night.

I have the same requirement. A client needs to be able to provide user access to collections but restrict access to page editing of any sort.

As for where to send them when they log in: an empty page with "Collections" visible in the top level menu would be sufficient. It always seemed odd that Collections are a sub navigation of Pages. In many use cases Collections don't have much to do with Pages and deserve to be a top level menu item.

Hi

I have a project in mind that feels like a great fit for Perch Runway.

However, a key part of the website involves three tiers of users.

The only part of the CMS each user will need to see will be a collection (or perhaps a set of collections).

None of the users should be able to see the pages or anything else of the website.

Is this something Perch Runway 3 could do?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I'm not sure if that will be included or not.