Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions, Blog

Ability to sort / filter on dynamic fields - blog app and elsewhere

I would certainly add my voice to any that have pitched for the ability to sort and filter on dynamic fields, not just the set system fields.

Use case example - I just added a jobs board to a site with a Perch implementation. When people go to the jobs board, they get the default most-recent-first listing, but there are buttons and links to make an ajax call to a separate page to reorder according to salary or contract length, or to filter by region. I imagined this would be a simple page with PHP picking up post variables and then using these to filter perch_blog_custom - only to find this didn't work. So in the end I had to get perch_blog_custom to return raw results which I could then use PHP to process as an array which - given my crusty PHP skills - took me a lot longer.

Best wishes - Mallen

Mallen Baker

Mallen Baker 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I agree with the premise, but why are you using Blog for a jobs board? It's not designed to do that, so you will hit up against limitations.

What would be the alternative that you'd suggest? Within Perch, it seemed to be the obvious way to go, for items that would be time limited.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I'd use a regular content region with some filters.

My assumption with regular content regions is that this approach will spawn large numbers of apparently physical pages which, even when the filters used for listing expire them, would still be accumulating in an unwieldy manner. Are there any case study examples where you show regular content regions being used for something similar? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Drew - can I just check - is there any numerical limit to the number of pages that can be contained within a list-detail set-up? I used repeating region items for a news section some time ago and found that it maxed out at 30 items. Is there something similar here - because that's probably why I imagined that the blog route was the more appropriate.

Thanks - Mallen

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

No, there's no limit.