Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Assets: basic documentation

We haven't grasped how this all works. Is there documentation? I can't find any. I Searched on Documentation and Forums and couldn't find what I need.

Only about 20% of images used in our site show up in Assets. How do we get the rest in?

Some images are duplicated in Assets. Can we safely remove duplicates without deleting from the pages(s): in other words, how do we know if a page uses the 'original' or a duplicate?

Some images in Assets show up distorted (height is x2 for example) in the Asset view, though they are the same size as images which aren't distorted. When used, the distorted images appear fine in our pages. Did we do something wrong? When I double click an image Assets that appears OK in the Assets panel, it shows up correctly positioned and sized i the Add/Edit Asset page. If I do the same thing on a distorted image, it is oversized on the Add/Edit Asset page

This refers

https://aircrewremembered.com/assets-issues.html

Thanks

Stefan Youngs

Stefan Youngs 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

How are the assets being added?

I think I have figured out what is happening. The Perch update picked up all the images defined in an image content region. It missed images dragged into a text area region, which for us is 60% of our images. But that's OK for us. We just didn't understand why some images were in Assets and some weren't.

We have a ton of duplicates in our Assets so we're going to delete all duplicates. I am assuming removal of an Asset leaves a page that used that Asset untouched. Correct?

Plus we will rename all Assets so Assets Search finds unique requests. Right now we have images called '76 squadron', '617 squadron' etc and a search for '617 squadron' has the unfortunate consequence of also finding ALL Assets with 'squadron' in their name. Again I assume renaming an Asset has no effect on pages that used that Asset. Correct?

We want ALL our Assets to remain and not to be deleted by the system after a time. Is there a way to force that as the default? Currently you have to select that option every time you make an asset. It's easy to miss this.

Thanks

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I think I have figured out what is happening. The Perch update picked up all the images defined in an image content region. It missed images dragged into a text area region, which for us is 60% of our images. But that's OK for us. We just didn't understand why some images were in Assets and some weren't.

Correct.

We have a ton of duplicates in our Assets so we're going to delete all duplicates. I am assuming removal of an Asset leaves a page that used that Asset untouched. Correct?

Incorrect.

Plus we will rename all Assets so Assets Search finds unique requests. Right now we have images called '76 squadron', '617 squadron' etc and a search for '617 squadron' has the unfortunate consequence of also finding ALL Assets with 'squadron' in their name. Again I assume renaming an Asset has no effect on pages that used that Asset. Correct?

Correct.

We want ALL our Assets to remain and not to be deleted by the system after a time. Is there a way to force that as the default? Currently you have to select that option every time you make an asset. It's easy to miss this.

There's not. Most users was unused assets to be tidied up.