Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Members

Members App - unique content for each member

Has anyone here used the Members App to create a unique content area for every member? Each member would be able to see some standard info (available to all members) once they'd logged in. But certain 'things' (reports, text, images, PDFs) that a member would see would be totally unique to them and not visible to any other member logging in.

If so, what did you do to achieve this? I'm being requested to do something for a new client and I'm unsure I can actually do what's required, using the Members App.

Thanks, Graham

Graham Street

Graham Street 17 points

• 5 years ago

Hi Graham,

I created my own app to do similar along with some other stuff.

But to be honest I think you could create a field type that could do it.

Field type that lists all members you select a member then you can filter the region based on the logged in Member ID.

Fairly confident that I could produce this, If you don't do it I'll give it a go.

Not sure that would work automatically, for each new member added would it? Its likely that new members would be added daily and I don't want to recode for each new one. The system would have to be completely automated with an administrator able to store individual 'things' in each member's 'account' that only they can see.

I should probably read up on field types first, as your solution may be a good one. :-)

Would each member have completely unique stuff?

Some standard text perhaps, but most of what each member would see would be unique to them.

I managed to knock a quick field type together, I would need to spend more time on it.

But how it currently works is.

You would create a multi item region / collection with

<perch:content id="member" type="members" label="Member" suppress="true"  />

Which would display a select list of all members (I will add the option to filter to certain tagged users ect).

Once the region is saved with a member you could filter it like:

perch_content_custom('Unique Info', [
     'filter' => 'member',
     'match' => 'eq',
     'value' => perch_member_get('memberID'),
     'count' => 1
]);

I'd be happy to give that a try. Are you on https://perchchat.slack.com/ where I can PM you with my email address. The only snag I can foresee is the number of members. A multi-item region wouldn't cope. A collection might, but we could be talking of 100s and eventually 1000s of members.

Hmmm yeah I think you might be better off with an app. to be honest it's just to create a app to do what you're looking for will be fairly easy.

Don't do anything for now. Its enough to know that its possible. If the project goes ahead, I'll come back to you and we'll sort out some development plans between us. Thanks for the help and advice so far.