Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Configuration, Hosting

Migration issues

Hi all, I am sorry if this has been bought up before but it seems perch migration is a little troublesome.

On the surface of things it seems simple and I have moved all files and the database over to the new sever, connected fine and have seen some of the data we've entered before show within the site.

But, for some reason Perch generates another version of the index page within the admin area and none of the generated pages seem to work. Shared data works where applicable.

It's frustrating as when i have used things like Drupal and WordPress this is pretty much clockwork but Perch seems to hurt my head.

This is the staging; https://cluster2.website-staging.uk/5mm.co/

This is the live; htpp://www.5mm.co

It's really a simple site - worst case scenario is I waste time re-inputting all data again. Yawn

Thanks all

Rik

SUMMARY INFORMATION

Perch: 2.8.8, PHP: 5.4.45, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.10 - 20111026 - $Id: c85105d7c6f7d70d609bb4c000257868a40840ab $, with PDO Server OS: Linux, cgi-fcgi Installed apps: content (2.8.8), assets (2.8.8), categories (2.8.8), perch_forms (1.8.3) App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = array( 'content', 'categories', ); PERCH_LOGINPATH: /5mm.co/perch PERCH_PATH: /home/cluster-sites/2/5/5mm.co/public_html/perch PERCH_CORE: /home/cluster-sites/2/5/5mm.co/public_html/perch/core PERCH_RESFILEPATH: /home/cluster-sites/2/5/5mm.co/public_html/perch/resources Image manipulation: GD PHP limits: Max upload 64M, Max POST 64M, Memory: 128M, Total max file upload: 64M Resource folder writeable: Yes HTTP_HOST: cluster2.website-staging.uk DOCUMENT_ROOT: /home/cluster-sites/2/5/5mm.co/public_html REQUEST_URI: /5mm.co/perch/core/settings/diagnostics/ SCRIPT_NAME: /5mm.co/perch/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php

Richard Barwick

Richard Barwick 0 points

• 5 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

We have details here explaining how to move a Perch site. It should just be a case of importing the database and deploying the files: https://solutions.grabaperch.com/development/how-do-i-move-a-perch-site

I've tried that but it doesn't seem to put the data in my index page.

It creates two index pages within the admin area.

The one I expect from the live site, with all the signals and data there to edit.

A second which is basically a blank template

The former i can't seem to view or find the url for.

-

There myst be something I have missed or need to tweak to get working. I am only using this whilst we move the domain to another server. I fear moving the domain without this "staging" area working correctly will cause downtime and a client headache.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Did you initially develop this site in a subfolder? Can we see the Diagnostics from your local environment?

No i didn't. That may be it.

Issue is in a few days the domain get's pointed over to this directory so it strictly won't be in a subfolder once the domain has come across.

I don't really want the site to be down once the domain sorts itself out and i then try and sort the database.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

If you move your site root then your pages have different paths so Perch isn't going to see it as the same page.

So you should make sure that you develop, stage and go live with pages at the same location. So if you have a page in the root /about it is always in the root as /about and never /clientname/about.

That's general good practice but also important for Perch as the magic that lets us pick up fields for your template and show them in admin needs to know where your pages are.

Makes sense! Thanks for your help!