Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Shop

Tax Integration

Hello!

I've just spoken to someone at TaxJar about integrating with Perch to calculate tax in the U.S. (they also support Canada, EU, & Australia).

I am wondering if it would be possible to get any assistance with performing the API integration, or if this might be something that you would want to support as a part of Perch Shop.

I noticed that you guys are also offering private support with Perch Shop (lord knows where you find the time?!) -- is this something that might belong in the realm of private support--I'd be happy to go through those channels as well. I'm very much in need of some sort of state or county level tax calculations. Thank you!

https://developers.taxjar.com/api/reference/?javascript#introduction https://github.com/taxjar/taxjar-php (php API client)

Olympia Kyriakides

Olympia Kyriakides 1 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Is it that you really need TaxJar support, or that you just need region based tax locations (which we have in the works)?

I suppose I just need region based tax locations. :D

Some states in the US have one tax rate. Awesome, and can be region-based with a 50 state dropdown menu just like the current COUNTRY selection dropdown!

Some states have loads of tax rates --> "sub-regions."

Beyond STATE, the shipping address information that I currently collect is CITY and POST CODE. COUNTY is an awkward request in an address form (at least in the US).

In New York State there are:

~ 600 cities ~ 4,000 post codes ~ 70 counties

Tax rates can be calculated based on any of the above address fields. If Perch tax was to function with regions in the same way it does today, COUNTY is clearly the most reasonable field to work with. I could manually upload all of these regions.

It's not my most perfered method but, I could see a customer being presented with a required COUNTY selection based on their choosing a particular state during the address input.

Do you think this is how it might work?

Alternatively, if we could call on bulk uploaded tax data, a la TaxJar, that would be great.

Thank you DREW!

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The way it's planned out at the moment, we have countries and regions. Those regions could be configured to be whatever you want them to be.

The only issue then is the UX around selecting a tax location, but I'm increasingly thinking that's not my problem to solve if I can just provide the tools.

Yes, if the tools are there we can work at a good UX, Thank you Drew. I hate to ask, but is there a timeline for this? I had a look on Trello but didn't see it.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

We don't publish timelines as otherwise people rely on things that may get delayed due to other issues. This is something we want to add but there are plenty of things in front of it at this moment so I would not be counting on it for a project at this moment (which is the advice we would give about any possible feature).