Forum

Thread tagged as: Runway, Shop

Shop variant stock control with print and digital variants

Hi

I have a client that has three options for buying back-copies of their journal - print only, digital only or print and digital. If they choose either the first or third variant, the stock level decreases. If they choose the second - digitial only - it doesn't. Is there currently a way to deal with this - as setting stock level at the product level will mean that the level will decrease even if it's digital only, as far as I can see it.

Also, they have decided not to sell digital products to Europe at all, since they are not willing to become VAT registered. Is there a way to use shipping set-ups to restrict availability of one or more variants based on a customer's address?

Thanks

Mallen Baker

Mallen Baker 0 points

• 4 years ago
Duncan Revell

Duncan Revell 78 points
Registered Developer

Are they options/variants? If they are, my first instinct is to say that you can set stock levels per variant.

I might have to go and check later to be sure...!

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Yes, you can set stock levels by variant.

As I said in my original question, my problem is that two variants (print only, and print and digital) share the same stock level - ie. the print element, but one variant (digital only) doesn't. So if I set stock levels by variant and somebody buys a print and digital version, the print and digital stock would go down, but not the print-only variant, hence it would go out of sync.

Any way of dealing with this?

And any answer to the second question?

Thanks -

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

So would you not manage the stock on the parent?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I manage the stock on the parent, then when someone buys a digital-only product, the print stock level will go down, which is not the intended behaviour.

I want it to go according to the following

Buy one print-only product = stock goes down by one

Buy one digital-only product = stock stays the same

Buy one print-and-digital product = stock goes down by one

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I don't know how you'd do that with Shop. I can't think of a way.