Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Shop

Tax Workaround - Tax Location by Shipping Address Value

Hi there, Currently, do you think it would be possible to use a shipping address value to set the tax location if both were the same value?

Something like... tax location = get shipping_county

I'm not sure how I might set that up.

Olympia Kyriakides

Olympia Kyriakides 1 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The tax location is taken from the billing address if none is set otherwise. I don't think we ever take it from the shipping address.

Oh that's interesting! I hadn't realised that. Many states in the US use "destination based" tax collection, meaning you must use the tax region corresponding to where the goods will end up. For example, if I live in Texas and send a gift to someone in New York from a store that operates in New York, I would be charged a New York tax rate.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I'll see if we can add a setting.

Hi Drew, Is this something that would be apart of the next release?

Thanks very much!

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

It's something that we'd consider for a future release, certainly.

Cool, thank you. In the meantime, is there a way to match any address attributes (billing or otherwise) to a tax location, and inform tax location that way? My whole tax work around is still outstanding...

Another idea I had was to hide the tax location select form in the add address form. The user would think they were just selecting their county, but really they're setting their tax location. Of course one hinderance is that the forms submit differently. Is there a way to mask the tax form submission or eliminate the need for separate submission buttons?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

The tax location is set automatically from the default address when the cart is initialised, so as long as the address is set then the tax location should be too.