Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Installation, Shop

Has anyone got the Perch Nest running club demo site working?

The files on GITHUB seem to refer to Perch 2.

Patricia Neale

Patricia Neale 0 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The Next demo should still work with Runway 3.

Patricia, I have had this working in a previous demo.

Is something not working for you? Or are you just getting started and hoping to use nest as a working example to build from?

Let us know where your at, and where your hoping to go, I'll see how I can help you.

Thanks for the reply. Bear with me, I am new to Perch. I am trying to follow the readme instructions:

1. Do I install runway first? Is this where I get the config details from?
  2. I assume I setup my new site with all the downloaded nest running club files and then insert the core folder from runway into the nest running club perch folder?
  3. The sql in the nest download refers to perch2 tables. Do I just create my empty database and import it anyway (after I have made the specified amendments)?
  4. There is no apps folder in the nest running club addons folder, so I just added it.

Thanks

Pat,

Just going on memory here...

First install a fresh copy of Runway and get that working. Install all required apps as they aren't included with nest download.

Then do the SQL import of nest and it should update the tables as needed.

Nest download is not a complete setup as at the time it was made available Perch and Runway were Pay to Play... which has now changed to Test then Pay...

I will return to my office in a couple hours and I will spin up a new install and I can verify it's working and the process it requires to setup and report back.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

What's your overall goal Patricia?

Robert Ketter said:

Pat,

Just going on memory here...

First install a fresh copy of Runway and get that working. Install all required apps as they aren't included with nest download.

Then do the SQL import of nest and it should update the tables as needed.

Nest download is not a complete setup as at the time it was made available Perch and Runway were Pay to Play... which has now changed to Test then Pay...

I will return to my office in a couple hours and I will spin up a new install and I can verify it's working and the process it requires to setup and report back.

Patricia, I am able to confirm Nest works wonderfully in v3. Here is what I did with great success.

• Created a database I named: nest
  • Setup a brand new install of Runway on my dev server @ localhost
  • Installed all the required apps for Nest: Blog, Gallery, Forms, Events, Shop, Members
  • Imported the SQL from Nest Demo
  • Logged into Runway: localhost/perch
  • Took a quick run through all the apps to force them to run any updates
  • everything working well

After I had everything working I uploaded a copy of my nest files, an updated SQL export here https://github.com/ketterus/Nest_Demo. You should be able to have this up and running within a few minutes. Just be advised, you will need to add the apps and make sure you have Runway installed on your dev server first (no apps or core files are in this repository). My advice is to setup a new project, do not try to update an existing dev site. This is just a working example, not something ready for rollout to production.

I sure hope this helps.

Please make sure to read previous post from Drew above.

Thanks again for your replies and your patience.

Drew, my overall aim is to learn how to install the shop app. I have never done one before and I thought the nest example would help.

Robert, using your bullet points above, I have successfully installed runway locally, including all the apps but that is really as far as I get. The sql from the nest demo creates Perch 2 tables. Is this supposed to then trigger the updates you mention next time I login into admin?

What content from the folders do I need from the nest running club download, e.g. shop_files, members_files outside the public folder, assets and templates? Your sql from the repository will not import because they try to create tables that already exist?

Pat, you need to have the database setup but no tables. Then when you do the sql import it will create all the tables and data.

The files I posted today has a sql import which will create all the perch tables as perch3, don't worry about it if your tables have perch2 or perch3 prefix, just so long as your installation of Runway has the proper prefix in the config.

Feel free to ask more q's to get this going.

Just know, the database will need to be empty when you do the import.

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the confusion. When you said "Setup a brand new install of Runway", I assumed you meant go through the install process which sets up the database? If I just create the necessary folders in my local directory and I also create an empty database, where do I get the config details from? I don't get a login screen I just get the setup prompts which include specifying the database, license type and user account.

Regards, Patricia

Pat,

You can can run the setup so your config will be created, then you can drop tables and import the sql import from nest. You will have to make sure you update the sql import with required details before import as there are place holders currently.

Hi Robert,

Thanks again for your help . . .

1. I created a new database
  2. I set up my local site by including a copy of Perch Runway into a public folder.
  3. I included all the required apps for Nest: Blog, Gallery, Forms, Events, Shop, Members in addons/apps folder and updated the apps config file accordingly
  4. I then went through the process of installing runway on my localhost (with a perch2 prefix?)
  5. I dropped the tables from the database and then imported the SQL from Nest Demo (perch2 tables), after first applying amendments to place holders
  6. I logged into the Runway admin panel for my local site and made a quick run through all the apps to force them to run any updates (only blog and shop appeared to be affected)
  7. Everything seemed to look ok. I saw pages, blogs and comments (yipee).
  8. I check back with the database and I see perch2 tables (not sure how the updates in number 6 are supposed to affect the database?)
  9. Anyway, I import your new sql and perch 3 tables are created?

Where do I go from here? presumably I need to use the nest demo files because they contain templates etc? I am not sure what exactly to use?

Thanks, Patricia

Then I applied your updated sql which creates perch 3 tables

Patricia Neale said:

Hi Robert,

Thanks again for your help . . .

1. I created a new database
  2. I set up my local site by including a copy of Perch Runway into a public folder.
  3. I included all the required apps for Nest: Blog, Gallery, Forms, Events, Shop, Members in addons/apps folder and updated the apps config file accordingly
  4. I then went through the process of installing runway on my localhost (with a perch2 prefix?)
  5. I dropped the tables from the database and then imported the SQL from Nest Demo (perch2 tables), after first applying amendments to place holders
  6. I logged into the Runway admin panel for my local site and made a quick run through all the apps to force them to run any updates (only blog and shop appeared to be affected)

That's fine, not all apps have an update script.

1. Everything seemed to look ok. I saw pages, blogs and comments (yipee).

Alright... we have a winner...

1. I check back with the database and I see perch2 tables (not sure how the updates in number 6 are supposed to affect the database?)

That's all perfectly well, as they will be perch2 prefix since you used the original Nest SQL import.

1. Anyway, I import your new sql and perch 3 tables are created?

Not necessary, as you have a working install already. It was a one or the other... not both. If your config setting is perch2 prefix, then you're using perch2 tables. >

Where do I go from here? presumably I need to use the nest demo files because they contain templates etc? I am not sure what exactly to use?

The sky's the limit.... you've got your wings.... fly :) At this point you need to decide if the Nest samples are the design you were planning to stick with, or using them as an example, build your new website using similar code. >

Thanks, Patricia

Then I applied your updated sql which creates perch 3 tables

Again as noted above.... This was a one or the other step... so the second import created a second set of tables, but doesn't affect the working installation if your config is set to perch2.

You have to understand the prefix on the tables doesn't mean you're running a previous version, the data in the tables will be current with the version of Perch/Runway of your core files. The prefix is really for new installations to avoid overwriting existing tables belonging to another program which may have same table names of perch. You could have a prefix of mary_had_a_little_lamb and it would still be fine.

If you need further assistance, it might be best to start a new thread (unless your Q is directly related to this thread), as it seems this thread has been solved now that you have a working installation of Nest Demo.

RK

Thank you Robert. You have been most helpful. I suspect there will be more questions regarding the shop app but they will be in another thread.