Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem

Upgrading help needed

I have Version 2.2.7 and need to update the software but I do not have all the previous versions to upgrade to incrementally or know when ckeditor has to be upgraded and when to find old versions of that, at what version the calendar of events has to be upgraded and where to find old upgrades to that so I can do this incrementally so nothing completely collaspes and does not work in the upgrade.

So basically I need versions of past Perch, ckeditor and calendar and blog apps in order to do this but do not find them on your site so I can incrementally upgrade. Are those available and is there a charge that has the break points for calendar, blog and ckeditor software.

In the past when I tried to upgrade from 1.6 to 2 things completely broke for one of my sites and I was never able to upgrade any further so I had to install the new software and copy everything over to the new version. I would like not to have to do that in the future although everything did work perfectly with no issues. I just don't have the time to do that for small sites.

C.

Carol Swinehart

Carol Swinehart 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

You don't need to update incrementally. Just update the core and all the apps based on the update notes.

Do it on your dev copy first and you can be sure everything is fine before making it live.

Mine broke. When I save changes, the content goes away. Roles don't seem to be working either. A role that should not be able to edit or delete a certain page can.

I had version 2.5.4 I backed up everything including my database. I renamed the core folder to core-original. Then I moved the core folder from perch_v2.6.3 folder into its place, added the new categories folder to content folder in templates folder. Added categories to apps.php

I have another customer site that needs updating from 2.5.4 but the site is at its peak for traffic and hate to risk it.

I had to go back to 2.5.4 for now. I don't have any other versions in between to try. Just to clarify the problem I had, in a simple textarea (using redactor editor) the input did not post even though I received the green verification message. The number of items listed for that region was 0.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Stacey - please start your own thread if you need help, we can't help two people in one thread.

I have tried updating in huge chunks but then when things get messed up there is no way to tell where the error is and these "were" working sites. It makes me very nervous -- maybe I am not using the correct directions -- please site the page again. This is especially true when I read the problem in the Thread by Stacey.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

https://grabaperch.com/update/

The correct way to update is simply to update the core folder and any related apps. The vast majority of update problems are when people have not completely replaced the core folder or have not uploaded all of the files. Those issues are simply diagnosed by looking in the PHP error log. So if you don't know how to access that and are worried then make sure you find out how to do that first.

If you do this on your staging copy then you can work out any issues first.