Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Navigation Sidebar Start

Hello,

"Where is the News (or Blog, Gallery, etc.) app?"

This has been the consistent first question I hear from clients when they first see the Perch 3 Admin.

I understand the logic for opening the CMS to the Pages Listing, but is it possible for the sidebar navigation to begin at the default "My Site"? The way it is now is sort of like starting in the middle of an app and the first thing to do is click on the back arrow.

Perhaps, if others are comfortable with this layout, then an option in settings can be added to choose where the sidebar will begin when users first login to the Admin? By showing them the "My Site" navigation, the back arrow makes much more sense to them.

Just a suggestion, but this question never fails to be asked.

Joshua Rodriguez

Joshua Rodriguez 2 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Do you have the Dashboard enabled?

Hi Drew.

I have tried with the dashboard, but most of my client's editors don't have access to edit top-level pages. So I've found that they immediately understand where their page is when starting with the Pages Listing. So starting with the Pages Listing makes sense to them, but not the navigation as a starting point when logging in. After that start and after moving around in the CMS they begin to understand.

In the CMS I also have top-level "pages" that act as a folder for subpages. Some examples would be About, Departments & Programs, Athletics & Clubs. There is no content on these "pages", but they have plenty of subpages that are not seen from the dashboard. So from the dashboard when they click on "About" they get a page with no regions and they think their content is missing or worse, that they've done something to delete it. So I try to avoid the dashboard for that reason.

They love the fact that they immediately start with seeing all their pages in the Pages Listing and that the structure is presented in the same order as their website navigation. The dashboard doesn't do this.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The Dashboard is the top level, so if you start there the top level of the navigation is shown.

If you jump directly down into the Content app, then you get the subnav for that app and need to navigate up a level to get to the other apps.