Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Addons, Api

Editing Administrator screens.

Hello,

I am creating a website which will contain vehicle listings and want to use perch to manage the content, however I have a few questions I can't find answers to in the documentation. I am able to program in PHP just fine, its just knowing wheres best to put the new code.

Firstly, how do I interface with the admin screens? I need to use an external web API which will return data that I need to populate onto my website. The administrator will input a vehicle registration which I then query the web api and it returns data I then wish to save to that particular listing on my website.

Secondly, I need to build some screens that re order the vehicles based on things like 'price low to high'. I have read the perch_content_custom page is not cached at edit and therefor not ideal. Are there better alternatives? Would writing my own custom plugin enable me to cache these pages?

Any help much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Tom

Tom Hughes

Tom Hughes 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Firstly, how do I interface with the admin screens? I need to use an external web API which will return data that I need to populate onto my website. The administrator will input a vehicle registration which I then query the web api and it returns data I then wish to save to that particular listing on my website.

You would do that by building a Field Type.

Secondly, I need to build some screens that re order the vehicles based on things like 'price low to high'. I have read the perch_content_custom page is not cached at edit and therefor not ideal. Are there better alternatives? Would writing my own custom plugin enable me to cache these pages?

It's not cached, but is still very fast. You could add caching at the page level if you needed it, but I'm not sure you'd need it.