Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Gallery

Perch Gallery App - Bulk Upload

Hi,

I've used perch on several new websites recently and am enjoying using the platform.

One of our clients has an artists' gallery on their website, and as we're giving their site a makeover, I'm thinking of using Perch with the Image Gallery add-on.

The issue is that the current site has hundreds of images on it. I can see that I can bulk upload images to the gallery, which might take time, but not too much, but each image they currently have includes a title and a description of each image, including a price for a painting and if it's sold or not.

What I'd like to know is if there's a way I can bulk upload the images, and also include the title and description? Could I add the titles and descriptions using MySQL after uploading the images?

If I was setting it up from scratch with no existing images, I'd have no issues using the gallery app as I'm confident I can configure it to do what I want.

Thanks,

Al

Aled Roberts

Aled Roberts 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I'd first look to see if what you want can be better done with regular content regions first. I'm not sure what the good use cases for Gallery actually are these days, now that regular content regions are so much more powerful.

Thanks Drew. I'm pretty confident that I can get everything setup using the content regions, I've already achieved similar results using list->detail pages similar to those used mentioned in https://docs.grabaperch.com/video/v/portfolio-with-categories/

I just saw the bulk upload option for the gallery app and thought it might save me some time. It's going to be a pain uploading 50+artists', each with a slideshow of 20-25 images, where each image contains a title and description tag.

Any suggestions to speed up the data transfer would be greatly appreciated!

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Data migration is always a sucky job. I'm not sure in this instance we've got anything that will make it suck less - especially when you factor in needing to process images to a template.

Thought as much, Thanks Drew.