Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Dynamic Image Resizing

It would be great if Perch could use functionality like SLIR (https://github.com/lencioni/SLIR) to make it possible to dynamically resize images when template needs change, rather than having to re-upload images in order to resize them for a new template design.

With SLIR, you upload only the full-size image, and then add variables to the image path to determine its dimensions and cropping. (So, only one image file is stored on the server, but it can be used in several different sizes throughout a website's templates.)

SLIR stores 'render' requests that are kept on the server so that subsequent users can load the previously-requested image, so that image pre-processing only happens once per image. (One potential drawback: in order for SLIR to resize images, the images need to be on the same server as the website, not in an external location like an S3 bucket.)

Luke Johnson

Luke Johnson 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

You don't need to reupload to get a new size, just resave the content once the template has changed.

I've always found that I need to reselect the image in the image field and then re-save the region in order to see size changes I've made in the template. This seems to be the case when adding extra sizes, at least.

I'd love it if "republish pages" had a check box that reprocessed all images too (or if there were some other technique, such as the one Luke has mentioned).

Drew,

your tip "You don't need to reupload to get a new size, just resave the content once the template has changed." was very helpful

thank you