Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Meta

Perch meta tags versus html meta tags

I've noticed in Page Details that one can enter a meta description and meta keywords. I just added some, submitted the changes, and then brought up the page in Firefox. In the diagnostic panel it said there were no meta tags.

My question: Is it better to put the meta content in the html head on the page and ignore the Page Detail entries in the Perch Admin because some (all?) browsers can't read them? Should I be entering meta in both places? Is one better than the other?

Just curious...

Thanks for answers!

Kimberly Olmsted

Kimberly Olmsted 0 points

• 7 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Perch enters HTML meta tags (assuming that is what is in your template). Did you View Source to see if they were there?

Hi Rachel,

Ah! Template. Since I saw the fields already generated in the Admin window it didn't occur to me that I had to make a template or enter a perch field in the head of my document. This is what I should do -- yes?

To answer your second question -- no there was no meta content when viewed from View Source.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Yes, everything in Perch is templated. You have control of the output that way.

So how does Perch generate an input filed in the Admin window if it hasn't been dictated from the page? In this case -- the Page Details?

So as developers we just generate a perch content tag to match the labeled input in the Admin. Yes?

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

There is information about Page Attributes and the default templates in the video here: https://docs.grabaperch.com/video/v/page-attributes/

Yes -- Rachel. This is all helpful Sorry for the delay in my response! Thank you so much for all your help -- always!

BTW: you and Drew and the excellent documentation are just as much selling points for Perch as the product itself.

Thank you for your dedication to Perch!