Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Blog, Backup

Migrating from Dev to Live after editors have modified Live.

Hello,

I might be overlooking something simple. I'm looking to work with continuous deployment on a client project, e.g. releasing from a dev environment into a live environment multiple times per day as new features are built, tested and ready for deployment.

I was wondering how best to achieve this. I can see how to move a site from dev to live (move the files and the database, adjust the config) but i don't see how i merge the new changes in the database database.

It's likely the live site will have content not on the dev site (for example, people adding blog posts, while i work on other sections) how do i ensure my deployment of the dev site back to the server does not delete any new content like.

From what i can see my only option is to have a change freeze on the live site whenever new development is being undertaken. So i can copy whats on live into the dev environment, knowing it won't change, then when dev is complete copy it back.

I hope that makes some sort of sense. Really loving perch, but i am sure i am missing something obvious with the workflow.

Thanks,

Jamie + Lio

Jamie Knight

Jamie Knight 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Usually changes occur to the database if you install a new add-on or upgrade Perch. In both those cases, Perch will make the changes automatically when the new code is deployed - you shouldn't need to deploy them.

So:

1. Make content changes on the live site

2. Make code changes in development (and continuously deploy)

Thanks drew, sorry for my slow reply!