Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Blog

Perch Blog - moving from 5.0 to 5.6.1

Newest version of Perch with Blog version 5.6.1 - I see directions in the docs for moving blog posts from Wordpress to Perch without retyping. I have no space to test the new Perch version with my website and do not want to cause issues so I completely replace the version by hand. I know it takes longer that way, but since I am changing grid systems also I believe this is the safest way for me to do this. So I have a lot of Blog posts in Version 5.0 and need to import them into Version 5.6.1. Where do I find directions for that or how do you do that?

Carol Swinehart

Carol Swinehart 0 points

• 2 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

There are no special steps going between 5.0 and 5.6.1. General information is here: https://docs.grabaperch.com/addons/blog/updating/

Drew McLellan said:

There are no special steps going between 5.0 and 5.6.1. General information is here: https://docs.grabaperch.com/addons/blog/updating/

I am not using the same database. So it would be like moving the blog from a Wordpress database to perch. How do I get the posts out of the old perch database to put in the new perch database. I can NOT update the easy way because I have no additional space on the server to put a test copy as you suggest that it should be tested beforehand to make sure everything works so we set up a new database through a new version of perch. That is the problem. Its easy if you can use a test copy, but I can not and need to have a new database.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

In that case, do it in two steps. First move the database and then update it.

Drew McLellan said:

In that case, do it in two steps. First move the database and then update it.

I am updating from Perch 2 to 3 also. With this work correctly

Just so I do this correctly. Do I need to uninstall the new version and reinstall it? Or just change the database information on the installation? Am I just replacing the blog tables in the database or the whole thing?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

From the description I'm not completely clear what you're trying to do, so I wouldn't like to offer advice.

Drew McLellan said:

From the description I'm not completely clear what you're trying to do, so I wouldn't like to offer advice.

I am installing a completely new version of Perch the latest and need to move the Blogs to the new version. Do I need to copy just the blog tables or the whole database? The old blog is 5.0 moving to the latest blog app. I have the whole new version install plus the events, blog apps.

Is it as easy as just loading the old database up to the newly installed version and it will update itself. Did say I have two paid for versions of perch on this site at the moment. Don't want to mess up the old site which is working fine but needs a total remake - grid and input.