Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Blog

Display the latest posts from two sections on a page

I've added this to the html to show the latest posts from the news section in this case and to use a custom template.

<?php perch_blog_section(perch_get('news')); ?>

<?php
perch_blog_custom(array( 'section' => array('news'), 'template' => 'custom-template.html', ));

?>

But it returns this error on the page:

Warning: PDO::quote() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/jpespartners/public_html/perch/core/lib/PerchDB_MySQL.class.php on line 378

What am I doing wrong?

Andrew Areoff

Andrew Areoff 0 points

• 6 years ago

Try this :)

perch_blog_custom(array( 'section' => perch_get('news'), 'template' => 'custom-template.html', ));

Alex Hardy said:

Try this :)

perch_blog_custom(array( 'section' => perch_get('news'), 'template' => 'custom-template.html', ));

Thanks but this doesn't output anything on the page.

Are you using a query string? Is there a link you could share?

Alex Hardy said:

Are you using a query string? Is there a link you could share?

Developing on my computer.

Not even getting the code straight out of the example 'section.php' to work:

<div class="post">
            <?php perch_blog_section(perch_get('s')); ?>

<?php perch_blog_custom([
                'news'=>perch_get('s'),
            ]); ?>

</div>

OK, from what I can tell, the problem is that the section option is being passed an array, and it only accepts a string. Hope that helps!

Alex Hardy said:

OK, from what I can tell, the problem is that the section option is being passed an array, and it only accepts a string. Hope that helps!

Not a programmer, so struggling!

It helps to reduce problems to a simpler form. Firstly, you need to fix the PHP error. I'd try just passing in a string for the section slug you want. Once that's showing content, look at grabbing that value from the query string.

Alex Hardy said:

It helps to reduce problems to a simpler form. Firstly, you need to fix the PHP error. I'd try just passing in a string for the section slug you want. Once that's showing content, look at grabbing that value from the query string.

True!

I've done this:

<?php perch_blog_section(perch_get('news')); ?>

'news' does exist as the slug in the CMS and has a post.

But the web page outputs nothing there.

perch_blog_section doesn't output posts, only information about a section. Do you see the section title?

Alex Hardy said:

perch_blog_section doesn't output posts, only information about a section. Do you see the section title?

It's not outputting anything. Checked the HTML and there's no information there.

Adding: <?php perch_blog_sections(); ?>

lists the section titles for me.

Yeah, that comes from another template. What's the code in your section.html template?

As default:

<h1><perch:blog id="sectionTitle" type="text" /></h1>

<perch:blog label="Image" id="image" type="image" width="800" height="200" crop="true" density="2" output="tag" />

I just want to be able to output a list of the posts in the section so I was trying to use post_in_list.html

What HTML does perch_blog_sections output for you?

Alex Hardy said:

What HTML does perch_blog_sections output for you?

<ul>

<li>
    <a href="/blog/section.php?s=news">
        News
    </a>
</li>

<li>
    <a href="/blog/section.php?s=posts">
</li>

</ul>

I take it I'm using sections as the most appropriate way of having a blog and a news section which operation within the blog app.

Ah. You need it to be:

<?php perch_blog_custom(array( 'section' => perch_get('s'), 'template' => 'custom-template.html', )); ?>

Alex Hardy said:

Ah. You need it to be:

<?php perch_blog_custom(array( 'section' => perch_get('s'), 'template' => 'custom-template.html', )); ?>

I've changed 'section' to 'news' to pull in the news section posts only. And the template name to 'post_in_list.html' and it does output a list of posts (not getting the clean URLs working yet but that's a separate problem) but this code seems to be displaying all the blog posts including those in the default 'posts' section and not just the 'news' section posts.

Exact code I have is:

<?php perch_blog_section(perch_get('s')); ?> <?php perch_blog_custom(array( 'news' => perch_get('s'), 'template' => 'post_in_list.html', )); ?>

You changed the option, not the value. It should be this:

<?php perch_blog_section(perch_get('s')); ?> <?php perch_blog_custom(array( 'section' => perch_get('s'), 'template' => 'post_in_list.html', )); ?>

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Try:

<?php perch_blog_section('news'); ?>
<?php
perch_blog_custom(array( 'section' => 'news', 'template' => 'custom-template.html', ));
?>

Drew McLellan said:

Try:

<?php perch_blog_section('news'); ?>
<?php
perch_blog_custom(array( 'section' => 'news', 'template' => 'custom-template.html', ));
?>

That works great thanks.

I can't link to the posts. Shall I post this as a new thread?