Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Error, Hosting

db connection issue

Hi

I've been trying to put a site live on a clients server for a few days now. Perch isn't connecting to the database despite all the database information (username, password, db name) being correct. I get the Database connection error page "Perch could not connect to the database".

I've been back and forth with their hosting support and they are saying that because Perch is connecting to the database using php5.2 and they use php5.5 this is what the issue might be. "The database access method you are using in PHP 5.2 might not be available in php 5.5. Newer PHP versions have deprecated some older access methods."

I've never had a problem before putting perch on any other servers. Is what they're saying correct if so how would I fix it? If it's not correct I can go back to them as it must be an issue on their side.

Thanks

Peter Meenagh

Peter Meenagh 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I think what you're being told is pretty much nonsense.

Do you get a pass from the server compatibility test?

I thought they were talking nonsense. I just ran the compatibility test and the test has been unsuccessful when trying to connect to the database. As I was saying all details are correct.

Error message

SQLSTATE[HY000] [2000] mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication. Please use an administration tool to reset your password with the command SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('your_existing_password'). This will store a new, and more secure, hash value in mysql.user. If this user is used in other scripts executed by PHP 5.2 or earlier you might need to remove the old-passwords flag from your my.cnf file

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Sounds like this is a very old hosting server. Take a look at the steps in the accepted answer here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1575807/cannot-connect-to-mysql-4-1-using-old-authentication

Thanks Drew. It is a really old server. I'll get back to them.